Leo XXX

"Leo XXX," Annabeth read.

They spiraled through the dark in a free fall,

Phoebe patted Thalia's arm in comfort as the hunter turned paler.

still on the dragon's back, but Festus's hide was cold. His ruby eyes were dim.

"What's happening?!" Thalia asked. "Is it the wiring? Did it run out of oil? Why is it crashing?!"

Nyssa and Jake exchanged looks.

"We don't know..." Nyssa admitted, rubbing her arm. "It could be because of the weight."

"Maybe fighting those sun dragons took a lot out of him?" Jake suggested.

"That's weird." Percy frowned. "I don't think metal dragons can get tired like that."

He turned to Leo, expecting some kind of explanation, only to be surprised by how serious he suddenly looked. He wasn't even twirling his pen, he just sat disturbingly still as he stared off at nothing.

"You okay?" 

Leo briefly glanced at him before tapping his pen against the notepad. Not in his usual animated way, more like he knew he should appear more lively.

"Fine." he said.

"Not again!" Leo yelled. "You can't fall again!"

Hephaestus worriedly frowned.

The demigods winced.

"He can't be that bad, right?" Mitchell said. "He's broken down before, Leo could fix him again."

Leo suppressed the urge to sigh.

...The wind stung his eyes, but he managed to pull open the panel on the dragon's neck. He toggled the switches....The dragon's wings flapped once, but Leo caught a whiff of burning bronze. The drive system was overloaded.

Nyssa's shoulders slumped. "Oh."

Jake sucked air through his teeth and winced. That's what Dad meant when he said nothing lasts forever.

Hephaestus glanced at Leo, who remained stoic. Other than the occasional tap of his pen, he remained motionless.

...He saw the lights of a city below them—just flashes in the dark as they plummeted in circles. They had only seconds before they crashed.

The readers tensed.

Thalia shuddered.

"Jason!" he screamed. "Take Piper and fly out of here!"

"What?"

"We need to lighten the load! I might be able to reboot Festus, but he's carrying too much weight!"

"Will that even work?" Mitchell said to Jake.

"I hope so..." Jake said with a pained expression.

Jason grabbed Piper around the waist. They both unbuckled their harnesses, and in a flash they were gone—shooting into the air.

Thalia let out a silent sigh of relief.

"Now," Leo said. "Just you and me, Festus—and two heavy cages. You can do it, boy!"

Leo talked to the dragon while he worked, falling at terminal velocity. He could see the city lights below him, getting closer and closer...