Leo XXIX

Starting now, there will be (sorta) BoO spoilers, I hope this doesn't deter you from reading this chapter and future chapters.

-------  

"Leo XXIX," Hermes read.

Leo kept looking back. He half expected to see those nasty sun dragons toting a flying chariot with a screaming magical saleswoman throwing potions, but nothing followed them.

The demigods sighed with relief.

"Good, if we're lucky, we might never see her ever again." Annabeth said.

Percy made a face at that. 

"The mall exploded," he reminded. "There's no way she could survive something like that."

"You'd be surprised." Poseidon said. "Sorcerers can be tricky."

..."Good job, Festus." He patted the dragon's metal hide. "You did awesome."

The dragon shuddered. Gears popped and clicked in his neck.

Nyssa and Jake exchanged nervous looks.

Percy worriedly frowned.

Leo frowned. He didn't like those noises. If the control disk was failing again—No, hopefully it was something minor. Something he could fix.

Festus has been fine so far, he should be fine now. Thalia silently hoped that the dragon didn't crash.

"I'll give you a tune-up next time we land," Leo promised. "You've earned some motor oil and Tabasco sauce."

Festus whirled his teeth, but even that sounded weak. He flew at a steady pace, his great wings angling to catch the wind, but he was carrying a heavy load...

"Maybe he's carrying too much." Nyssa said worriedly.

"Is there anyway to free Coach out of his cage?" Jake suggested. "That'd make the load lighter."

"Leo." Piper patted his shoulder. "You feeling okay?"

"Yeah ... not bad for a brainwashed zombie." He hoped he didn't look as embarrassed as he felt. "Thanks for saving us back there, beauty queen. If you hadn't talked me out of that spell—"

"Let's not think about that." Leo grimaced. Knowing my luck, she would've made me cut off an arm and a leg for a electric toothbrush.

"Don't worry about it," Piper said.

But Leo worried a lot. He felt terrible about how easily Medea had set him against his best friend. And those feelings hadn't come from nowhere —his resentment of the way Jason always got the spotlight and didn't really seem to need him.

Leo ducked his head to avoid seeing the others' expressions. He flicked a pencil. It rolled away.

The some of the readers looked saddened but otherwise unsurprised.

"I figured," Hermes muttered before he continued reading.

Leo did feel that way sometimes, even if he wasn't proud of it.

What bothered him more was the news about his mom. Medea had seen the future down in the Underworld...That's how his mother had died—because of something Leo might do someday. So in a weird way, even if his fire powers weren't to blame, Mom's death was still his fault.