Jason XLIX

"Jason XLIX," Katie read.

Leo absentmindedly twirled the pen in his hand.

After the fight on Mount Diablo, Jason didn't think he could ever feel more afraid or devastated.

Now his sister was frozen at his feet.

Annabeth winced.

The hunters still looked horrified by the news.

"I'm just frozen." Thalia reminded them. "I'm still alive."

"She won't get away with this." Artemis swore. How dare she do this to my hunters! 

He was surrounded by monsters. He'd broken his golden sword and replaced it with a piece of wood.

Thalia frowned. "You really need to find a better weapon... Maybe Leo can lend him another hammer?"

He had approximately five minutes until the king of the giants busted out and destroyed them. 

The readers winced.

"Only five minutes..." Hera muttered, face paling. "They haven't even touched the cage yet."

Jason had already pulled his biggest ace, calling down Zeus's lightning when he'd fought Enceladus, and he doubted he'd have the strength or the cooperation from above to do it again. Which meant his only assets were one whiny imprisoned goddess,

Hera scowled. "A what?" 

"Accurate." Hephaestus commented.

one sort-of girlfriend with a dagger,

"Only 'sort-of'," Aphrodite couldn't help but grin.

and Leo, who apparently thought he could defeat the armies of darkness with breath mints.

"I was nervous!" Leo defended as the Stolls snickered.

On top of all this, Jason's worst memories were flooding back. He knew for certain he'd done many dangerous things in his life, but he'd never been closer to death than he was right now.

Thalia shuddered. "Don't say that, you'll jinx yourself."

Leo tossed the pen up into the air before catching.

..."What've you done?" Jason demanded.

"Oh, so many things," the snow goddess purred. "Your sister's not dead, if that's what you mean. She and her Hunters will make fine toys for our wolves.

"What?!" Artemis exclaimed.

I thought we'd defrost them one at a time and hunt them down for amusement. Let them be the prey for once."

"She. Wouldn't. Dare." the goddess of the moon growled. 

The Hunters glared at the book as if it were Khione herself.

The wolves snarled appreciatively.

"Yes, my dears." Khione kept her eyes on Jason. "Your sister almost killed their king, you know. 

"This time, I won't miss." Thalia swore, eyes narrowed in determination.

Lycaon's off in a cave somewhere, no doubt licking his wounds, but his minions have joined us to take revenge for their soon king, Porphyrion ,will arise, and we shall rule the world."