Peeta Mellark x Reader English

Reader is left behind in District 12 when Peeta goes into the games, without him knowing how she really feels but she watches him fall in love with Katniss. Then he comes home from the games and she finds out the truth.

Warnings: None

It was the most painful experience you'd ever gone through; watching him every day with Katniss. Falling deeper and deeper in love with her in the arena. You watched the games all day and all night, making sure he was still alive, you'd hardly slept at all. Anxiety for your best friend consumed you and the fact that you weren't able to tell him how you felt before he left.

The day his name was called at the reaping, your heart dropped and you hugged him so tightly before he left. You were about to tell him how you felt when the peacekeepers dragged you away, shutting the door between the two of you. Between you and Peeta.

It felt as if your whole world had exploded when you heard him say those words in the interview:
Because she came here with me.

The words rang in your mind over and over. Really? In all your years of knowing him, he had never even mentioned her. Yet, suddenly he had revealed his love to the whole world. You didn't know. How could he tell the whole world before he told you?

The following days before the games started were... shaky. You started to see Gale a lot. The revelation had shocked him too. You had always just assumed that they were together just because they spent so much time together and everything Gale did for the Everdeen's.

Then they started, the sleepless nights, the loss of appetite... the Hunger Games.
The first days were the hardest, you never took your eyes off the screen in front of you. Every canon brought a feeling of dread in the pit of your stomach.

Then he got hurt and no one was there. Until Katniss found him. Although you were uneasy about her, she was looking after him and you were thankful for that. Watching the two of them was hard, you could see how truly in love with her he was. The way he looked at her, the way he spoke and then... that kiss. It was like a hole had been ripped from the pit of your stomach. You were with a group of others when it happened, including Gale. You looked across at him, not wanting to see the contents of the screen, he did the same and there was a moment where the two of you looked at each other and understood. Understood the pain, the heartbreak, and the lust. The difficulty of wanting what you couldn't, or didn't, have.

Watching the games was like watching a film, you disagreed with the characters actions sometimes. Like when Peeta told Katniss not to get the medicine. Ugh, what was he thinking?! He always has to be that perfect boy that won't let anyone do anything for him. But she didn't listen, that was Katniss all over you guessed. Even though it raised your levels of respect for her slightly, it didn't help the jealous feeling in the pit of your stomach every time he looked at her.

Then it was just the three of them left. Katniss, Cato, and Peeta. Needles of fear pierced you inside and out when Cato held Peeta on the roof on the Cornucopia. Peeta's life rested in the hands of Katniss once again. Apparently, you were clearly stressed out because Gale, who was sat on the sofa next to you, put his arm around you and held you tight until Peeta was okay.

But then he wasn't: The Rule Change.
"No." You'd whispered shaking your head. You knew she'd do it. She was stronger and he was going to die. A tear slipped out of your eye as she looked at him, defenceless and weak, with her bow beside her. This time Gale didn't offer comfort. You looked at him and his stare was cold. He didn't take his eyes off the screen. Your insides flipped when Katniss pulled out the berries. That's when Gale spoke, "What is she doing?" He asked, panic in his voice. The crowd went silent as everyone watched them. Watched them defy the Capitol.
"1"
"2"
"3"
You gasped suddenly, the realisation that you were going to lose Peeta forever. After being filled with the hope that he might come home again.
"STOP! STOP!" The voice had said, "Ladies and gentleman, may I present the winners of the 74th Annual Hunger Games."
Your heart stopped beating as it overflowed with joy and relief.

The agony of waiting for him to come home was almost as strong as when watching the games. And then that day came, one of the best days of your life. It was late morning and you had been in your house when Prim, Katniss' sister, ran inside, not bothering to knock beforehand.
"They're back, Y/n! Katniss and Peeta. They're back!" She'd exclaimed before running back out the door. The games had helped you form a close bond with both Gale and Prim, you'd spent most days together watching your loved ones trying to survive. But the strongest of bonds can be made through trauma. Which was why you were scared to see Peeta... and Katniss.

A large crowd had already formed in the square and by the time you'd got there, you couldn't get through and stood at the back. Then the doors opened, out first was Effie Trinket in a tremendously bright green ensemble and purple hair, next was Haymitch and then they came out. Katniss and Peeta. Peeta. You could tell he was overwhelmed by the size of the crowd of people all cheering for them. You could see his eyes searching the crowd, then he saw you. You smiled brighter than you'd ever smiled before and he returned the smile.

About an hour later, the crowd had diminished but a few people were left congratulating the two of them. Peeta kept looking up and meeting your eyes whilst talking to others. Finally, Peeta managed to worm his way to you. He hugged you tighter than you'd ever been hugged before.
"I missed you so much." He whispered shakily in your ear.
"I missed you too." You replied, tears welling in your eyes. Happy tears; tears of relief. You could see Gale and Katniss greeting each other a few metres away.
Then they walked over and you gave Katniss an awkward hug. You'd never really been friends but you'd been in the same class throughout the whole of school.
"Right, my lovely Victors." Effie smiled politely, you hadn't even heard her approach you, "shall we go see your new homes? In the Victor's Village." She asked her golden pair. She seemed to have put more emphasis on 'Victor's' than necessary.
"Come find me later." You smiled at Peeta, he knew where he'd find you.

Later on in the day, you were sat below a tree by the fence, when you saw Peeta approach you. You put down the book you were reading and looked up.
"Hi, stranger." You chimed as he sat down next to you.
"Hi." He responded, smiling at you.
He reached an arm out and put it around you, then shifted uncomfortably.
"Look, um, Y/n." He started, "I don't really know how to say this but..."
Great here it was, the moment you'd been dreading. The 'I had feelings for you before the games and I know we were developing into something more than friends but now I'm in love with Katniss.' Simply wonderful.
Your body slumped slightly, anticipating the rejection coming your way.
"I'm in love with you."
What? Were those the words that had actually just come out Peeta Mellark's mouth? No way. You must have misheard him.
He moved his body round to face you and you realised he'd said it out loud.
"Oh."
That was your response, 'Oh'. The moment you'd been waiting on for almost a year had arrived and you had replied with 'Oh'. Great job Y/n.
His face flushed red and he began to take his arm away, "I'm sorry," he stuttered, "I thought that you felt the same way..." He trailed off.
"What?" You asked, "of course I feel the same way. As soon as you'd left I'd wished I'd told you in case... in case..."
"In case you never saw me again." He sighed.
"Yeah." You whispered.
Just then he reached his hand up to your face and kissed you tenderly. But you pulled back,
"What about Katniss?" You asked, avoiding his gaze.
He sighed.
"We had an agreement. Convince the Capitol we were in love to save our lives. It was Haymitch's idea. And I'm sorry that you never knew, but there was no way I could tell you or-"
You cut him off by bringing your lips back onto his and kissing him again. This time it was him the pulled back. He looked at you and suddenly a tear slipped out of his eyes. You wiped it away and pulled his head into your lap. You knew there was no way you could understand the horrors he'd seen but you'd try and you'd be there to listen and comfort.
"I love you so much, Y/n." He sighed into you.
"I love you, Peeta." You replied as a single tear rolled down your cheek