How Am I Thick?

It started to rain a little bit as they were walking back through Godric's Hollow to the market. James was a couple of steps again, walking backwards on the cobblestone, facing Lily as they walked and talked. "Be careful," Lily laughed when he nearly tripped on a loose stone on the sidewalk by the old church, "You'll fall and hurt yourself, and then what?"

"Then you'll need to nurse me back to health, Evans," he replied.

"Or else leave you for dead," she shrugged.

"One or the other," James agreed, falling into step beside her and walking properly now.

Lily took a deep breath, trying not to feel the electrical currents that seemed to travel between her hand and his as their palms swung at their sides. She kept her eyes straight ahead, afraid if she looked down she might grab his hand and never let go. "So what sort of food do you lot usually take on camping trips?" she asked.

James shrugged, "Usually mum makes us a roast or something, all wrapped up nice-like. Or else whatever Peter can nick from the kitchens."

Lily laughed. "If I'd had more time, I could've asked my mum to show me how to make a shepherds pie."

"I love shepherds pie," James announced. "Especially when my mum crumbles little pieces of bacon on the top of the potatoes." He smacked his lips, "Literally, best dish ever when you think on it. What more could you possibly ask for? Meat and corn and potatoes and bacon." He grinned.

"My mum adds a bit of cheese and some onions," Lily said.

"I mean cheese can go into literally anything and it can only be an improvement," James said, smiling.

Lily shook her head, "It would be terrible in a pie."

"What the hell d'ya think a pizza is?"

"What?"

"A pizza pie!" James said, doing his best Italian accent, "Mama mia, Lily-a!"

Lily laughed, "You're so far off on that accent."

James continued on in it, "Whadda ya talkin' about-a, I'm'a really gouuuda. Which by the way is anothaa cheese-a!" Lily laughed and pushed his shoulder and he pretended to trip, though she hadn't pushed him hard enough for him to, and his eyes sparkled as he grinned down at his feet. "What's your favorite food?" he asked finally.

Lily replied, "Lasagna." 

"AAAYYY! Itsa more-a my-a Italiannooo!"

"Stooop!" she laughed, "You bloody idiot."

James grinned.

They'd passed the fountain and were coming up on the market, and James ran ahead to open the door for her, tripping on his own feet as he did it. He bowed as she walked through, then swung himself in after her as she selected a cart from the pen of them by the door, and pushed it into the vegetable section.

James walked alongside her, and when she went to get a bag of grapefruits ("for breakfast," she explained upon her return), he leaned against the handle of the cart, propping one foot up on it and hopping along on his other to push. 

"I'm not sure what we could and could not cook on the trip," Lily commented, looking over the contents of the shelves. "Like, do you lot have skewers and that sort of thing?"

James raised an eyebrow, "Well, you see, love, that's the beauty of being a witch and wizard, isn't it? You can cook anything you like, anywhere you like with the right spell, yeah?"

Lily flushed, "I s'pose that's true. It's just that some things are easier than others."

"What about some sausages?" James suggested, "Those are always a hit."