Chapter 12: Skills

Lapis and Peridot's POV: Third Person
"Before we get all wet - Jasper stop making that face its not that funny - we shoul d probably take a picture," Peridot suggested, shrugging her shoulders with her hands up, "If you guys want."

Jasper smirked. Amethyst smiled and nodded.

Garnet gave Peridot a thumbs-up. "Sounds good to me."

Lapis sheepishly smiled and held her left arm with her opposite hand. She felt a small lump in her throat as she said, "I'll take the picture."

Peridot's heart broke for Lapis. She felt like she had tried so hard to make her feel included, but she guessed it wasn't enough just yet. "Woah, woah, woah. No way we're taking this picture without you. We'll just set it up on a table," Peridot offered.

Amethyst walked towards Lapis and punched her on the arm. "Yeah, nice try. But you can't get away from me that easily," Amethyst joked.

Lapis smiled wide as she huddled in between Peridot and Amethyst. Peridot stepped forward to place her phone on a nearby table, using her popsocket so that the group could see themselves through the screen. She stepped back and put her arm around Lapis and Jasper.

Peridot felt awkward next to Jasper and Lapis, seeing as Lapis was 5' 6" and Jasper was 5' 11", so she decided on placing her hands on their waist instead. Jasper didn't seem to mind, but as soon as Peridot put her hand around Lapis, she felt her flinch. Peridot immediately retracted her hand and looked over at Lapis, whose face was turned away from her.
-------------------------------------------------------
Lapis felt a hand slide across her waist. She looked to her right and realized it was Peridot's hand, her face heating up. She felt herself freeze, causing Peridot to take her hand away. Damn instincts, Lapis thought. She kept her head turned foward towards the camera as to not show Peridot her beet red face.

Lapis wished Peridot would replace her hand, but felt no contact between them. Lapis got tired from Peridot not doing anything, so she built up her confidence and placed her hand on her waist. But, yet again, she miscalculated, and her hand landed low on her waist. Lapis felt fidgety, but stood her ground and kept her hand on Peridot's, well, hips.
-------------------------------------------------------
Peridot felt Lapis' hand on her hips. She held back a smirk as she noticed Lapis' awkward face to the left of her. Peridot placed her left hand back on Lapis' waist, low, but not as low as Lapis had placed her hand, as to say, "I see where you're going with this, but Ima just remind you that you placed your hand really low."
-------------------------------------------------------
As soon as Peridot placed her hand back on Lapis' waist, she noticed that she had purposely placed her hand slightly higher than Lapis', due to the face she made. Lapis knew she was trying to convey something, but couldn't put her finger on it.

"You dumbass, you didn't turn the timer on, Peri. I've been standing here smiling for half a minute," Jasper said, tearing away from Peridot and Pearl. She went forward to press a button on a phone, then rushed back to the group.

They all immediately put on a fake smile and huddled closer. They waited until they heard the *click* of the camera, knowing it took a picture.

Peridot walked forward towards the table, and Lapis felt the loss of Peridot's hand. Peridot took her phone in her hand and observed the pictured. She smiled, then said, "It looks good!"

Jasper and Amethyst walked forward and also observed the picture, followed by Garnet, Pearl and Lapis.

"Damn, I have a stray hair! Why didn't you guys tell me?" Pearl complained, earning a chuckle from Amethyst.

Lapis leered over Amethyst's shoulder to see the picture. Lapis' eyes immediately went to herself to see if she looked okay in the picture. She felt confident in how she looked. Her eyes trailed down to Peridot. Peridot looked so small next to both her and Jasper. She also looked cu- stop, Lapis scolded herself.