Chapter 15: Bliss

Peridot POV: First Person

I looked at Pearl, who had laughed a bit too hard at my joke, which made me uncomfortable. After a while of Pearl touching my arms, sitting on my lap and overall shamelessly throwing herself onto me, I excused myself to go to the bathroom.

I sighed and walked through the doorway that led to our room. The four shots and two beers I drank quickly caught up to me, leaving me on an exhaustion-hype. Spinning on my heel, I landed on the bed, resting my eyes. I almost let sleep embrace me, but reminded myself that I had left Pearl out there waiting for me. Ugh, Pearl was killing me.

Using my elbows, I raised myself off of the bed. I didn't actually have to go to the bathroom, but splashing my face couldn't hurt.

I turned the faucet on and waited for the water to turn cold. My mind scanned over the events of today; a long drive, an unusual competition, multiple conversations - then now, where I idiotically got myself buzzed and stolen by an equally gone Pearl.

I groaned quietly. I should be having fun, yet all I had was a few minutes left before people would wonder where I was.

Leaning forward, I cupped my hands under the rush of water and splashed it onto my face. The cold feeling jetted through my body. My back relaxed as I sighed, letting out the stress coiled up in my chest.

I held myself up with my hands for a minute before deciding to go back out. I reluctantly took a step towards the door on the left of the room and laid my hand on the cold, hard metal knob.

The hair on the back of my neck stood at attention like army soldiers at the noise of a door opening. My hand froze at the door knob as I turned my head to identify my company.

"Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were..." Lapis said quickly. I opened my mouth to respond, but nothing came out. Lapis must've been waiting for a response, because she asked, "Um, Peridot? You okay?"

I rubbed my eyes in an attempt to remove the exhaustion from my face. I put on a smile and turned to a concerned Lapis, who still had her hand on the door handle, although she had closed the door.

"Um, yeah," I responded in a cracky voice. Classy, Peridot. "Just, y'know, hangin' out?" I mumbled, shrugging.

I could tell that Lapis didn't believe me, but she let it go, turning towards the mirror and nodding. We stood in a calming silence. After this whole night, this is exactly what I needed. I grinned.

Lapis looked at my reflection through the mirror. "Long night," She stated, smirking. I nodded, smirking back. Suddenly Lapis frowned, turning away from me. "You've been spending it all with Pearl, huh?"

I groaned. "Yeah, I have," I agreed in a blank tone.

Lapis looked back at me, examining my face. I smiled, hoping I wouldn't give off any signs. "You..." Lapis drawled, "look tired," she pointed at my reflection.

I blinked, noticing how heavy my eyes were. For some unknown reason, I started chuckling. Soon I was doubled over in laughter. Lapis turned to look at the real me, her expression a mix of worry and confusion.

"Peridot," Lapis asked caringly. Her tone struck me, and my hysterical laughter turned into sobbing. Lapis quickly noticed the tears rolling down my cheeks. "Oh my god, Peridot! What's wrong?"

I turned to lean over the white sink, letting a few loose strands fall into my face. I could see the tears rolling down my face and into the clean sink beneath me.

I tensed when I felt a hand against my cheek, but relaxed when I remembered that Lapis and I were the only ones in the cramped, tiled room.

Lapis lifted my chin up to eye level with her's, only a few inches away from her. "Hey, hey, Peridot," Lapis cooed, "what's wrong?"