Chapter 19: Jackets

Peridot's POV: First Person

Wind rushed against my face harshly as we sped back towards our dock. Lapis kept a tight grip on my waist, only clutching harder when a wave or bump hit us.

I still felt nauseous from my fall, and the waves hitting the sides at a constant rate wasn't helping the pain. My eyes threatened to droop lower until I gave in for a second; I closed my eyes, envisioning nothing. But soon my own brain brought me back to life, warning me that I would crash us if I kept on.

Once we reached the dock, I punched the green button to make the vehicle float in place. After a push of the red button above it, I tied it to the post it was earlier attached to. My back cracked as I stood up, relieved from the pain of hunching over the dashboard. Lapis, who was behind me, avoided eye-contact.

"Lapis..." I drawled, hoping I'd find the right words to say in a second's hesitation, "I-"

"What took you two so long?" A voice boomed from behind us. We both turned to witness Jasper, Amethyst, Garnet and Pearl staring at us.

Neither Lapis nor I responded; we stood there, hoping the silence would cover up for the past few minutes... or was it hours?

Instead of facing everyone like a normal person would do, I sprinted a beeline for the house. My hand clapped over my neck where I knew a bruise was. I knocked into Amethyst's shoulder, but kept running nonetheless.

"Perido- oh!" Amethyst screeched. I couldn't see her face, but I could hear the mix of anger and confusion.

Footsteps padded after me, which I was assuming was Amethyst's. I didn't turn around to check. Still covering my neck, I flung my right hand towards the door handle of the house and jerked it open, not bothering to close it.

"Peridot!" I didn't listen to the calling. I just ran up the stairs to the third floor. After reaching my room from the night before, I buried my face in the pillow.

"Peri-huff-dot-huff," a high, melodious voice wheezed, "what the hell."

Taking my head out of my pillow, I scanned Lapis' shaking body. She wasn't dripping on the floor, but watery footsteps were significant. Drops splattered her whole body, even her face. Despite the water already around her eyes, I could spot them amidst the tears.

"La-Lapis?" I sat up, arms and legs trembling. "Are you crying?"

"YES!" Lapis screamed, standing tall. I shrunk back as she took a few steps towards the bed. "You just sprinted away from me! What the fuck do you think I'm gonna do, play another friendly game of volleyball?" Lapis put her hands on her hips dramatically. "I think not!"

Lapis rammed her pointer finger onto my forehead. My vision became blurry as I attempted to look at it, going cross eyed. "And if you think I'm gonna just let you run away like that," Lapis' expression softened, "then you better think again."

Her eyes showed something I hadn't seen before; remorse. Sadness. My heart ached to see her like that, so I didn't cry anymore.

I pulled her in towards me, resting my lips on her forehead. After a few seconds, I moved away. Lapis' cheeks had flushed a light red. I smiled, to which she returned.

"So," I said in a cheery voice, "what to do now?"

Lapis shrugged. "Your call."

I looked down at the wet one-piece that clung onto my pale skin. "Well, I'd really like to get out of this," I said, pulling at the waist of my swim suit.

Lapis raised her eyebrows in a teasing matter. My face turned a deep red as I rethought what I had said in my head.

"OH MY GOD LAPIS NO," I yelled. Lapis wheezed and chuckled, with a few snorts mixed in as well.