Chapter 24: Can't Wait

Lapis' POV: First Person

The rest of the week did not go how I expected it to. Which is good and bad, considering I have a negative outlook on, well, everything.

Pearl and I went back to normal. We even became friends. I got close with everyone there on a friendship level. And I use the word 'friend' because Peridot and I avoided each other the whole damn week.

We agreed that it'd be too much drama for us to shove our relationship in their faces, so we limited the PDA. Which turned into paranoia, which turned into limiting ALL affection whatsoever.

So you could say I was both sad and thrilled that the trip was over today.

It happened to be Sunday, the last day of our stay at Peridot's lakehouse. After five full days of drama, tea, awkwardness and stalled relationships, I was tired. But I had to endure a few more hours of lake before we actually left.

We planned on leaving at noon so we could eat breakfast late and still pick up food on the way back. Since we had a few hours to waste between breakfast and our departure, we decided to spend it on tubing.

We had planned on tubing Wednesday, but things didn't, um, work out. To make up for that nasty accident, we redid Amethyst's birthday on Friday to make up for being absolute asshats. Thursday was spent in the pool and on the trampoline, learning how to do tricks. Peridot finally taught me how to do an elbow handstand, although I fell on my face a few times in the process.

Saturday and Sunday were spent knee-boarding and just plain jet-skiing, but we never got to tubing. That's why we decided that we had to do it today, right before we left.

Peridot suggested that we wear one-pieces. I had slid on my black and blue suit and headed outside to where the others were. Peridot was setting up the tubes onto the jets with Amethyst and her father as the others were playing volleyball.

Pearl waved over to me, signaling for me to join the game. After a while of the sun beating down on the sand and killing the bottoms of my feet, Peridot and Amethyst told us that the jet-skiis were ready.

Each tube could fit two to three people on them, so we decided we'd rotate. The first group would be Jasper, Peridot and Pearl, while the second would be Amethyst, Garnet and me. Greg and his father had volunteered to drive us which worked out perfectly. Unfortunately for group one, they got Greg.

After the first group had positioned themselves strategically (not exactly, the weight is supposed to be evenly distributed and it wouldn't be safe to stack Peridot on top of Pearl, which I wouldn't approve of otherwise), Greg shot them an evil look before revving the engine. Peridot turned to me, giving me a scared face before shooting off with the waves behind her.

"Are you ready for this, blue?" Amethyst said, patting me on the back. I smiled back at her and nodded. Her dad had rounded the deck and placed the tube where we could jump on it.

Garnet went on first, then Amethyst, then me. Since Amethyst and I were about the same weight, we decided that I should go on the outside since I had more "body mass to block me from falling, Lapis." And what made it worse was, since the other groups body distribution was even worse than ours is, they got the sitting tube. We had to lay down on our stomachs and pray to god.

After jumping on and giving Amethyst's dad a thumbs-up, he shot forward. My hands immediately gripped the handles provided at the front of the tube, along with Garnet and Amethyst.

Her father started to circle around, almost making me slip off. We even hit a few waves, which sent Amethyst flying on top of Garnet. I laughed so hard that I almost fell off as well. After a few more minutes of calm tubing, Greg yelled at us that we were headed back.