Chapter Seven

I love this banner, it's so stunning made by SeaOfGlass thank you so so much for sending it in! (:

If you would like to send your banners for Alden in, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1656

~Kezziah

I'm lost for words, even within my own head.

The day of my branding is seared into my mind, forever etched in like a deep scar. Replaying those moments, and each word said is something I've avoided for a long while. Even Avia doesn't know the entire story, and still does not press. However, sitting in front of me is an Alpha whose staff have fed a horrific pill, who won't accept any excuses.

It's a shame for him I'm not opening my mouth right now. I have to bid my time, otherwise I'm not getting out of here.

Those intense navy-blue eyes he sports are searching. "Not very talkative, are you?"

My expression doesn't change. I don't even move. Alden is an intelligent man, and from a single word, could deduce my entire motive. It would be better if I spoke only in small amounts, or perhaps not at all.

"I'm trying to help you, Kezziah," he tells me, clasping his hands together. I frown, but only slightly. Me speaking only helps him and his intentions to find Time. "I understand you don't want to be here, but this is for your betterment."

"My betterment?" I say before I can stop myself. "Hardly."

I spent my entire life running from him. Time has hardly ruined as much as Alden has. Hearing him try to justify his actions only infuriates me. He sits so close to me, I could easily lash out and strike him in that perfect nose of his. Who knows what the consequences would be, but I'm willing to sacrifice.

Alden sighs, before he gets to his feet. He really is so tall. I watch him as he crosses the room, each stride so fluid. He pulls out a draw from a chest, pulling something out. When he comes back and lays it out in front of me, I realise it's a thick portfolio, which he flips open.

The first is a sketch of a pattern. It's long and thin, swirling around like branches of a very spindly tree.

"This is one of the many markings Time leaves," Alden tells me, fingers moving around each pattern. "We have concluded that it is the most common. It's perhaps a lower tier."

It doesn't look familiar, but I nod.

He slips the page. The next pattern is a lot thicker, and rounder. The edges are smooth and precise. "This is less common. Higher tier we believe."

He continues to point me through each. He has separated them in different factions, marking a few on the way they move in each direction, the thickness and the overall shape. He even mentions where they have been found of the subject's body. Apparently, he has been trying to find a correlation, and has failed.

"There is a reason why I am showing you this," he tells me, once the portfolio has been closed. I'm wary, but also curious, wondering if I've been the only subject to have this shared. "One of my staff members have noticed that your marking is different."

Different.

Avia had always said I was different. I had presumed that was because we had avoided Alden for so long, however, that was all on her. I listened and obeyed where I could. Now escaping here is up to me.

"Would you show me?" he asks tentatively. I physically flinch.

If he thinks I'm willing to shed my clothing, or pull it up for him to inspect my back, he is hallucinating. I've always hid it, no matter what. Someone once noticed and I had to lie and claim it was a tattoo. Now sharing it makes me anxious. Especially to a stranger, and especially to Alden.