Chapter Fifteen

Word Count: 1627

~Kezziah

I'm frozen.

Time seems to have that ability. To chill my blood and cool my skin. Every inch of me is suddenly fridged, the brittle atmosphere within the room wanting to step right out. Not that I have much of a choice in doing that. If Time want's to speak to you, then he will. That's how he branded me in the first place.

He twists something on his finger as he stares at me. A ring. It's golden - like his eyes - and adorned with brilliant glinting diamonds. Its lavish, pertaining to whatever has been filling his time with recently.

More innocent victims, surely.

"What are you doing in her?" I question, my mind scrambling to think up any plausible reason. I thought Alden would have these buildings protected...I thought I would be safe in here, at the very least.

Time pushes off where he was leaning against the bench. "I'm here to catch up with my favourite little Traveller."

I know what that means. Either he is trying to complete his objective with me, and send me somewhere in time to do his dirty work, or, there is something else involved. Maybe her is here to punish me for speaking to Alden, or for being caught. Or maybe he is going to kill me before I can tell Alden anything about what happened that night to him.

"I don't understand what else you want from me," I say anxiously, back pressed firmly up against the door.

"Can I not just come and visit you?" Time asks, that glint in his eyes expressing the fact that he wasn't, in fact, just here for a visit. That he wants something from me, or wants me to know something. "You are mine after all."

Mine. That word haunts me. It brings me back to that night.

He wants me. An immortal with extreme power wants me.

I don't say anything, instead I'm waiting for him to continue. To explain what he means. Instead, he just stares at me, perhaps observing me, to see how I'm going to react. I've heard only rumours and tales of Time. That he was the cruelest immortal to ever exist. And I believe it, now. Looking in those eyes. There's nothing there but deception and cruelty.

I can barely get coherent words out of my mouth. "I-I don't...I don't understand."

"You're more beautiful than I assumed you would be," he says gently, an honest observation that takes me by surprise. "He doesn't deserve you. I'm glad you're not going to waste."

My mouth opens and closes like a gaping fish.

"I hope you understand how important you are to me at this point. I mean, I don't expect you to know right now, but you will," he tells me, his steps toward me careful and precise, his shoes making no sound against the cobblestone. No one is around to hear, anyway. If they were, what could they do to save me?

"You don't even know me," I breathe, voice quivering in fear. I hate myself for being so paralyzed by this feeling. He hasn't threatened my life, yet here I am, wanting nothing more but to beg for my life.

Time smiles. It's knowing, it's secretive and perhaps even ridiculing. Has he been watching me? Stalking my life? Why?

"I may not know you, Kezziah," he says smoothly. "But I do know some facts, and those interest me. Those are why I'm here for you. Those are why I'm forced to brand you."

I've heard those words before. My parents had once warned me, but the base of my information on the Immortal Time, and the Travellers he attains from branding from my school. There was a mixture of fear from families, who hid their children once dusk fell, while in contrast, children were curious, sneaking out in hopes to catch a sight of Time.