Chapter Thirty Nine

Word Count: 1694

~Kezziah

For a moment I couldn't breathe.

Alden stares at me, no sense of humour or teasing on his expression. He would never joke about something this serious with me anyway. In that moment when I realise he is being truly serious, it felt as though my entire heart shattered. As if the world I had just been brought into is collapsing around me.

But there is only one question that dwells on my mind that I have to ask before I feel the true extent of grief. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Alden swallows uncomfortably, looking down at his feet. I'm not angry at him, I'm just lost. The hope I had been filled with only moments ago has been taken away. Just like everything in my life. It gets taken and destroyed by someone in only a few moments as if it meant nothing.

I don't know what to do.

"There wasn't ever a right time," Alden explains, burying his hands in his hair. "And what am I meant to say? That there is a dormant sickness in my body that could trigger at any moment and kill me?"

Just hearing him say it made me wince. It doesn't feel real, but when he says it so callously, it makes the reality sink in. At least it's not affecting him right this second...But it could be any time now.

Alden seems to notice my expression. "I know it might seem bad, but it could affect me tomorrow, or years from now."

"How far away are you from a cure?"

"There are only a few components left, however, I've put my main efforts into finding a cure for your bond. We have found a mixture that works on the brandings, but it only works on select people, so that needs work too," Alden tells me. Like the true leader he is, he's putting his work and people before himself.

I stand up from the bed, walking forward to grab his shoulders between my hands. He might looks defeated, but love and affection still lingers in his eyes. It's enough for me to have hope that I can convince him.

"Promise me you'll put the cure before anything else. You need to save yourself. For your people and for...for me," I say, running the tips of my fingers over his face. His skin is so smooth and soft. I could lay kisses all over it.

I make a mental note to do that later.

Alden looks grim, but I can see my words have gotten through to him. "You are rather convincing, aren't you? You could batter those eyelashes and I would do anything for you. Fine, I'll let the lab know as soon as possible that I want to up concentration on finding the cure. But finding a way to get rid of this bond is important too."

I nod. The sooner the bond from Time is removed, the sooner there will be space for Alden and I's bond.

"You'll go back today. Make sure the lab knows as soon as possible," I tell him. Before he could protest I reach up on my tiptoes and kiss him gently on the lips. It might be flirting to distract him, but there is still a heavy weight on my heart. I pray they will be able to find the cure before the sickness starts to affect Alden.

"As much as I disagree with this," Alden says, twisting a piece of hair behind my ear. "That is the perfect way to be silenced.

I lean into his touch. "Make sure you come right back."

Alden's reluctance to go remained until he was about to leave. A few kisses later and it seemed as though he was finally ready to leave. He promised he would be back tomorrow morning, however, it still made me nervous being here. No one should find me, though.