Chapter Thirty Eight

Word Count: 1733

~Kezziah

Nerves bubble up inside me as we approach the house.

It feels forbidden to be stepping inside Alden's safe house. He keeps this from the eyes of the public for a reason. I may be his mate, yet it seems so strange to be stepping into his personal life like this. I only know him as the Alpha. The professional man whose only objectives have been in the name of science.

Alden unlocks the door, holding it open for me to go inside first. Immediately I'm hit with some kind of warmth, that doesn't seem physical. Maybe it's the aura of this place, or the intimacy that surrounds it. Either way, I like it.

It's smaller than I expected for a home belonging to an Alpha. Actually, I would say it's perfect size. Quaint, but still rather roomy.

"How often do you come here?" I ask.

It doesn't look recently lived in. There seems to be a fine shimmer of dust on every surface I pass by. Regardless, the inside of the house is furnished nicely. He's gone for a very minimalist look. A pale grey chaise lounge, thick fluffy rug and a sleek television that looks as though it's been created in the Wisdom Pack for sure.

"Not often enough. Especially not recently," Alden mutters, drawing a finger across the surface of a low table. He draws back a layer of dust, which he looks disgustingly at. I can't help but chuckle.

"I like it," I tell him honestly, wandering around to the kitchen. It's simple, like I would have expected. It's very grey, with hints of blue every now and again. Once I come back to the lounge after looking at the dining area, I see Alden lounging on the couch.

"I'm glad you like it. Because this is going to be your home for some time," Alden reminds me."If that's okay with you, of course."

I breathe in deeply.

The reality of this has hit me, however, I'm not scared of living here. Living with Alden for the most part doesn't seem as daunting as maybe it should be. I suppose we are mates, and I am excited to find out more about him. He's still intriguing with how little I know about him. I can't wait to find out more.

"As long as Time can't find me, I definitely like it here," I tell him, pulling at a curtain that had falling back with time. It reveals a patio area outside and an unkempt garden past it. I make note to maybe explore it if I have time.

"As my mate, nothing is off limits in this place. Feel free to explore as you will," Alden tells me, noticing the way I look at the garden with interest.

Nothing off limits. Perfect.

Suddenly my gaze notices a cluster of things placed on the dresser beside Alden. I approach them, curious to see whether or not it is going to reveal anything about him that I don't know. I decide to pick up a picture frame containing a photograph portrait of a woman who looks vaguely familiar.

"Is this your mother?" I ask. Without him confirming it, I can already tell it is. She has the same navy eyes as Alden, and the same thick dark hair like pure obsidian. Even the way she looks at the camera is like Alden.

"It is," he confirms, coming to look over my shoulder.

"She's beautiful," I admit, looking at smooth skin and petite features. I don't remember seeing her when she was the Luna of the Wisdom Pack, however, I have no doubt she was a good and kind leader. "You definitely took after her."

Alden takes the photograph from my hands, rubbing the dust off the glass. I can see him admire it with a sad look in his eye for a moment before he blinks it away.