Chapter Thirty Seven

Word Count: 1544

~Kezziah

"How do you know?"

Etta stares at me blankly, all colour seeping out her face. She knows she stepped out of line, but with everyone around us on surrounding tables has all their attention on us. I doubt there is a single person in this room that doesn't know what happened to my parents.

"Look Kezziah, we don't have to talk about it," Melena says firmly, glancing around at everyone else. At least she respects my privacy, but it looks like it's too late. If I wasn't so worked up from this revelation, I would be surprised Melena is caring about me to any degree.

It probably isn't the best idea to pry in front of all these people, but I have to know. "You have to tell me who told you."

"We heard it through others," Etta tells me nervously.

I drag my attention to her. I'm unsure if I'm mad at her or not. I don't blame her for being interested, but her blurting of speech has all these other girls looking over, whispering to each other, waiting for my reaction.

"It was just some girl who came in after just being branded," Melena says in a hushed tone, looking over my shoulder. "She claimed she knew you and that your parents died. And get this, she only happened to mention that after all these girls said something about you and Alden being in a relationship..."

I blink a few times, as Etta cuts in. "She's just jealous over nothing. Don't worry."

Watching Melena's gaze still cast over my shoulder, I decide to turn around and see who she is staring at. When I do, I realise she is staring at a girl surrounded by many others who all seem so intently fascinated by every word out of her mouth. Her hair is pin straight and auburn in colour. Her eyes are as dark as night.

It hits me straight in the chest when I realise I know her. I've seen her before, at school. Of course, I left school after everything with Time happened, however, it wouldn't be impossible for her to have found out about everything that happened with my parents.

For some reason, something within me made me stand, pushing my chair back away from me. "What else do you have to say to me?"

Everyone goes quiet.

I can't quite remember the girls name, but she clearly remembers me. Her eyes narrow slightly, as if she has prepared for this confrontation. She also stands, so it's just the two of us, staring each other down from across the room.

"I think you have something to say to the rest of us," she says, folding her arms across her chest. Everyone is so quiet in the room following her statement. I wait patiently for her to elaborate. "Don't act like there isn't anyone in this room that doesn't know about you and your boyfriend...The Alpha."

My jaw clenches, my cheeks flare. "You don't know anything. And don't talk about my parents ever again."

She raises her eyebrows.

"The secrets out. Why don't you tell us all about this? Or are you still so obsessed with keeping secrets?" the girl says, a smile quirking at her lips. Everyone's gazes sweep from her to me.

My fingers curl into fists. Just as I was about to walk over there and give her a piece of my mind, the doors to the cafeteria area burst open, and Alden followed by two guards walked into the room, straight toward me. I catch his gaze as he approaches me. He looks stern, sending a shiver down my spine. Am I in trouble?

Without saying a word to address all the girls in the room, who all gasp and murmur at his presence, he grabs my arms and drags me toward the exit, leaving myself and all the other girls confused.