Chapter Twenty Seven

Word Count: 1649

~Kezziah

I'm not as frightened by this news as I thought I would be. Maybe it's because I don't believe him...

Alden is not my mate. There is no way. The moment he said that, the entirety of me felt the need to disagree. To hide what I've been feeling toward recently without any thought as to why. But that doesn't mean he's my mate. It doesn't mean that because every time I look at him a flutter arises in my stomach he's my mate.

Time would lie to me about that. He would change the dynamic between Alden and I to halt the process of us removing the bond. There is no reason why I should believe Time would tell me anything truthful.

He seems to notice my skeptical expression. "You don't have to believe me."

"You're right, I don't," I say firmly, pushing the idea of this being a truth from my mind. "And I don't believe you. At all. Do you think I was born yesterday?"

Time raises a dark eyebrow at me. I've heard that Immortals don't like being spoken to as if they are foolish. I couldn't care less that Time is one of the high tier Immortals used to getting his way in everything. If he thinks he can lie to me about who my true mate is, he can deal with my attitude.

I watch as he looks down at his fingertips. "Here I am being honest, and you're treating me like this?"

"Why should I believe you?"

Time doesn't answer right away. Finally, he stands from where he was sitting on the edge of the bed, moving away to pace the front of the room. I'm not getting out of this room now, even if it was an option previously. Time isn't done with me yet. He hasn't proved his entire point.

"Why would I lie?" he questions, that feline like smile pulling at his lips leaving me sick to the stomach. "I know how you feel when you look at him. And might I tell you, it's not fair having my mate look at another man like that."

My eyes narrow on him. "What are you trying to prove?"

"Who says I'm trying to prove anything?" he tells me with a shrug. "I thought I would remind you you're my mate, no one else's."

I may not know everything about Time yet, but I do know he doesn't do anything without a motive. This lie is to falter the working relationship between myself and Alden, but little does this immortal know, I would never mention this to the Alpha.

If he was telling the truth, it would ruin everything. So to avoid any truth or lie coming to the surface, I just won't say anything. I will comply to what Time has to say, but I will not share anything to Alden past this door. He isn't my mate, and I'm not going to let the idea of him being so get to my head.

"Even if this was true, how would you know," I question, folding my arms over my chest. He may be a powerful immortal, but I doubt he would know something like that. As far as I'm aware, all he can do is transport through time.

And brand people without their permission.

"Well, I do happen to have a twin brother who's in anyone's head that he wants to be. It's not impossible for me to find this information out," he says pointedly, that smile telling all.

I remember from one tale we heard in school that he is brothers with another powerful immortal named Thought. He isn't someone I know very much about, however, the idea of someone coming into your thoughts, able to feed you any information they want to seems frightening. Especially when they are related to Time.

"I still don't believe you," I mutter, leaning back against the wall.

"Whether you do or not, I thought I would stop by to share some information," Time tells me, approaching me on the bed again. My skin shivers at his proximity.