Epilogue

~Kezziah

Nine months later.

Today, things are falling into place.

The house Alden and I have been working on for months has finally been completed. It's a beautiful home we created in a small village just on the border of the Wisdom Pack. We could have moved into Alden's own home, however, I didn't like how isolated it was, and I wanted a fresh start after this past year.

Alden had agreed. Recently, his sickness has been triggered, and he's been deteriorating. It's been painful to see, but now, he has a home he can be where he has no issues. And I can be here with him.

"Finally, I can't wait to unpack," Alden says from behind me, as I place the last box down on the floor. He leans over my shoulder, kissing my cheek.

I turn around to face him.

Some days are better than others, and today he doesn't look so well. His skin is sallow and discoloured, his shoulders are hunched and he almost seems to sway unevenly. It breaks my heart seeing him like this. This disease has striked him viciously very quickly, which is why losing his parents must have been a whirlwind.

"At least the bed is up, which is the most important part," I comment, tearing tape off a box filled with clothing. Alden grins, biting the bottom of his lip. He bends down to grab a box to put on the table.

"Are you flirting with me, Kezziah?" he asks, to which I giggle and roll my eyes. Picking up the box, I take it to the room. Alden follows me in with two boxes.

He's trying his hardest to maintain his strength.

"How is everything at the lab?" Alden asks, sitting down on the edge of the bed, watching me begin to unpack clothes into the dresser. Recently, since Alden has gotten sick, I've been going into the city more to check on the lab. The old compound that held the travellers has been transformed into a school exclusively for lab students.

"People have been working very hard. I think you would be proud of how it's going," I tell him. He's been spending more time at home, working on his Alpha duties. Here, we have built him the perfect office.

Alden nods. I place the last piece of clothing into the dresser before opening another box. I pull out a picture frame.

It's a stupid picture I was given months ago.

Avia had taken it, when we were at some hotel at the start of the year. Black marks, Time's brand, circle along my shoulders. It makes me wince looking at it. That's what used to plague me, imprison me. Alden's skin used to be tainted by those marks too, until Time finally gave in and removed him.

Life has been good since then. Time has disappeared and hasn't come back to haunt us since. I think he has truly put his efforts into getting his mate, which I imagine will be a mission in itself.

Thought has remained in our lives recently. He comes over for dinner often, he just never really reveals what his life is like outside of that.

We don't ask, though.

"Anything new being worked on, or is it just the usual?" Alden asks, as I rest of picture on the dresser. I think back to my visit to the lab, and the news I received while I was there. I'm not sure why I am putting it off so much. I'm so excited to tell him, I can hardly put it off any longer.

Without saying another word to him, I rush out into the living room and dig through my purse. Alden looks confused as I walk back into the room, arms tucked behind my back, rolling a small glass vial around against my palm.