Chapter Eighteen

Word Count: 1579

~Kezziah

I'm not sure what this revelation should mean to me.

Part of me immediately feels sorry for the oblivious girl out there who doesn't know who the two mates arguing over her. One, a powerful immortal who belongs to a group of sins who want nothing more but for this world to burn. And an Alpha, who runs a Pack created of secrets, and what I've gathered, a sort of protection against the immortals.

Having either of them as my mate would be too much for me. So to know there is someone would there perhaps about to realise who their mates are, I can feel nothing but sympathy.

"Hiding her from me is not going to change the facts," Cian seethes, his grip on me tightening on my arm as his angry increases in intensity. "I'm her mate."

There's something frightening in Noah's gaze.

"We agreed she would go about her life unaware that either of us were her mate. For her safety," Noah says. Fair. I would be grateful for that, if it were me. Noah seems like a fair man, considering he is the Alpha of Harmony. I can't imagine him wanting anything else but this. "Why, all of a sudden, do you want to ruin this."

"Something made me realise I'm not about to live my life without my mate," Cian says firmly. Surely it will be impossible for Noah to convince someone like Greed out of having his mate to himself.

Noah's jaw clenched, Cian taking a step too far. "Greed."

For a moment, I was convinced Cian would do something to hurt Noah, to use some immortal power to kill him right here and now. But he doesn't. And I think I know why. I can't imagine killing an Alpha would go down very well. He has no other choice but to bargain.

"Allow me to see her, at least once," Cian offers calmly, although his tone shakes. It's intimidating, watching these two men face off, close to ripping each other's throats out.

Noah shakes his head. "I cannot allow that. She is blissfully unaware, living her life. She has another lover, who may not be her mate, but she wants to be with him. And we must, as her mates, strive to do what is best for her. Knowing we exist as her mates, will do nothing but damage her."

At those words, I gather a lot of respect for Noah.

"Another lover?" Cian questions, seemingly taken aback for a moment. "That can't be true. I thought she would be waiting for her mate.

Noah seems peacefully calm, hardly touched by this information. Were it me, knowing my own mate chose someone else, I would be heartbroken, as confused and offended as Cian seems to be.

"She doesn't know about us, and that's how it's going to stay," Noah tells him, his tone firm, not wavering in its intensity. I can almost feel the defeat in Cian, as if his aggression and ego deflates in the moment.

There's a stare off, hazel on green.

Finally, Cian relents, sighing deeply. I can almost feel the heartbreak seeping from him. It must have taken all of his self control not to demand for what he wants. Especially being Greed, and all. Despite being impressed, I find Noah to be the best in this situation. He may be close to his mate, but instead, he's allowing her to live her life how she wants.

I assumed we were about to leave, but Noah turned his attention to me, pinning me under an emerald gaze. "And how did you wind up on Cian's arm?"

Were I able to speak, I wouldn't have known what to say.

"We are helping each other tonight," Cian says, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I don't pull away from him and jab him in the side like I want to. Instead I stare at Noah, unable to smile or anything. Not like he would be able to see it.