Chapter Forty Three

Word Count: 1668

~Kezziah

Naturally, Cian got invited in.

He sauntered into the house, shoulders back, gait triumphant. Sitting down on the couch, he motions for us to sit in front of him, that smirk touching his lips not fading for a moment. I'm nervous about why he is here, however, I sit down regardless, curious about what he is going to reveal. I have a feeling it's going to ruin my life.

Beside me, I can feel Alden's tension. He doesn't like having an immortal sitting in his home; especially a Sin. I can tell he is as curious as me, though. He's been looking at me strangely, wondering why Cian knows I exist.

"Well, is someone going to say something?" Cian says, clapping his hands together. Both Alden and I flinch at the harsh sound.

Alden and I exchange glances.

"You're the one who has walked into my house," Alden mutters, not even trying to be hospitable. I don't blame him, since he doesn't have the best history with Immortals. And Cian, with that golden hair and cat like gaze, he's a predator ready to strike, leaving both Alden and I cautious. "Maybe you should start.

"Alright, fair enough. If it isn't obvious already, I'm here for Kezziah. She one the competition for me," he tells me. I frown, unsure of what he means. Competition? I don't remember any competition involving Cian. Unless he means...

Alden jumps in before I even have a chance to defend myself. "What do you mean competition? There hasn't been a competition."

It's clear Cian is enjoying this.

"You're lucky I'm bored with this place and I won't be around much longer, so I don't mind exposing the operation all of your guards are involved in," Cian says, propping his feet up on the low coffee table. I watch Alden's jaw tighten. "Kezziah managed to survive out of all the other girls that were bet on. And I thought she might want to know."

"Wait what operation? What competition?" Alden questions. Cian looks at me to explain, relaxing himself back into the couch. He knows there is a relationship going on between Alden and I. I have a feeling he wants me to ruin it.

I glare at Cian while I talk. "I was dragged into some competition by guards in the middle of the night. That's when I met Cian, who apparently bets on girls who are going to live the longest from your medication."

There's an off silence.

"How long has this been going on?" Alden asks, luckily concentrating his anger on Cian. "And why was I not told earlier?"

Cian shakes his head dismissively, getting up from the couch. I can tell he is getting bored of conversing with Alden, wanting to get to his point. He crosses the room, looking through drawers and cabinets without a care in the world that this is Alden's personal items. He knows no one wants to get on the wrong side of Greed.

"All that matters, is I came here to tell Kezziah she won the competition. Of course, I saved her life to get her there, but that's just semantics," Cian says, ducking his head in a cabinet to search for something.

I can feel Alden look at me, but I don't address it.

Cian pulls out a bottle of clear liquid, popping the top off it to take a whiff of whatever is inside. "Now, since I'm close to leaving, and my job here is done, it is my duty to inform Kezziah of why this is all happened, and who is truly behind this entire operation. Since of course, it couldn't have been all me."

"What are you talking about?" I growl, watching Cian take a swig of the liquid inside, his face screwing up in disgust at the taste of it.

"You'll just have to come with me if you want to find out," Cian offers, putting the bottle back where it came from. If Alden is bothered by him rifling through his stuff, he is keeping it too himself, too interested in the conversation between us two.