s e v e n t e e n

Week 3

"Ninety-nine..."

"A hundred..."

I lay my back on the ground, feeling my stomach muscles burning. It was the third set of the night and I was feeling really tired. Even if I wanted to do a fourth round, I wouldn't be physically able to. So, I got up and took a shower.

I was tempted to weigh myself, but my logic was that if I didn't know how much I weigh, I'm not losing weight and I'm not betraying coach Harvey. I really wanted to go to regionals, but losing weight was more important. I mean, all the hard work that I have been through, just to stop because someone tells me to is moronic.

I go downstairs to grab a bottle of water, but halfway through the stairs I hear tons of voices coming from the living room. I get to the bottom and secretly looked, not wanting anyone to see me.

Half the football team was in the house and I frown taking a step back, but I stumble into someone, and jump scared.

"Hi sis." Says Christopher with one beer in each hand.

"What are all this people doing here?" I whisper not wanting to draw attention to us.

"We won the game." He replies happy. "If you were a normal teenager, you would have go to the game and see us play. We are pretty good."

I roll my eyes and sigh, wanting the house to be empty. "When are they leaving?" I ask confused. "It's Wednesday, shouldn't they be at home, sleeping for tomorrow?"

"We don't have school tomorrow." He says shrugging.

"Why?" I ask even more confused.

"Because we won." He replies frowning, like I was supposed to know that. "The team gets the next day free when we win."

Alec, his best friend, appears through the door, and I sigh. Just what I needed right now. A house full of boys. I leave and go to the kitchen wanting to get the bottle and leave as fast as possible.

I grabbed the bottle and went to go out the kitchen door, but both were still there.

"Does she know?" He asks him and I take a step back, not wanting them to see me.

"No." He replies seriously. "I'm never telling her."

"She looks different." Alec adds, not in a nice way. "Is she sick?" He asks, and I frown.

"I don't know." Christopher replies. "She's being acting strange the past few weeks."

"Is the wise decision not to tell her." He adds, and I try looking through the crack of the door. "Maybe is a sign from God that she doesn't remember."

Remember what? I wonder confuse.

"I know." He replies shrugging. "She hates me enough, imagine if she knew that she kissed me." He whispers. "Multiple times."

I feel my stomach drop to the ground and take a step back.

"I think you're more hurt that she called you Nate the whole time."

I cringe and close my eyes. That's why he kept looking at me that way the day after the party.

"She's a strange girl." Christopher adds, drinking a sip from his beer. "I think she's the only girl in this world that is unhappy over being rich or having me as a step brother."

"It was time someone dropped you from that cloud you were high on and made you realize you aren't the shit, like you believe so." Alec says laughing.

"Shut up dude." Christopher says, and both go back to the living room.

I quickly run up the stairs and throw my bedroom door close.

"I kissed Christopher?" I whisper with disgust.

Why would I do that? And I called him Nate? It must have been after he stopped us from doing it. I sigh, loudly, and throw myself in my bed. How am I supposed to look at him in the face after knowing this information? No wonder he never told me. And what if I remember some day! I frown cringing, for once I was glad that alcohol made me forget everything.

I wake up next morning and realized that if Chris or Nate didn't have class no one was taking me or Olivia to school. Am I supposed to wake him up? I wonder confused, he is going to kill me if I wake him up.

I go downstairs and see my mother eating breakfast with Olivia on the table.

"Who is taking us to school?" I ask not taking a seat at the table.

"Me." She replies with a smile. "It's been a long time since we girls had alone time."

I stare at her, not wanting to take a ride to school with her. "Okay." Was all I said and went upstairs to grab my stuff.

We left Olivia first at school, and mom promised her that they were eating ice cream after school. I was glad she didn't invite me to that.

"So," she says, now on our way to my school. "how's school?" She asks exited. "Have you made lots of friends, any boyfriends?"

I look through the window, dreading having some small talk with her. "It's okay. I have many friends, no boyfriend though." I lie.

She nods, and I pray she doesn't ask any more questions. "And gymnastics? Are you going to regionals?"

I stare at the floor disappointed, if she knew I probably wouldn't go. "I don't know yet." I lie shrugging.

"You have lost some weight." She adds, staring at me from the corner of her eyes.

I say nothing, and she continues talking. "A few more pounds and you're good to go!"

I bite my tongue by her words and try my best not to feel triggered and cry. We made it to school soon after and I got out of the car, not saying anything else to her.

"Just a few more pounds." I whisper making my way to the building. "Just a few more pounds."