Chapter 4 Healing A Broken Man.

They arrive at the shrine just before the sun sets, Bruce marvels at the beauty of the shrine. The way the setting sun hits the building just right is awe inspiring the architecture of the building is so beautiful, he's surprised it isn't more popular with the tourists. But Bruce guesses that's a good thing for him.

"Tell me, Kagome, who is this Shrine dedicated to?"

"It's actually dedicated to the Shikon No Tama it's also has a reputation with the locals for being effective at dispelling bad omens from items or events, therefore on occasion there would be those who would visit it after traveling a great distance." She explains.

Bruce looks at her interested, "Tell me more about the Shikon No Tama, doesn't that mean Jewel of the Four Souls?"

Kagome looks at him surprised, "Yes it does, Bruce, very good."

Kagome then went on to explain the story of the Shikon Jewel, how it was formed, how Kikyo became it's protector and what happened between her, Inuyasha and Naraku. They ended up sitting under the Goshinboku tree, while she told Bruce the story. She told him of another priestess who's name was lost through the ages who ended up shattering the jewel, hunting for the pieces throughout Japan with a perverted Monk, a Demon Slayer, a fox Demon Child and of course the Hanyou, Inuyasha. Kagome went on to tell him how they recovered all the pieces and defeated the evil Naraku and sent him to Hell.

Bruce was so entranced and excited by the story he hadn't realized that he had taken Kagome's hand while she was telling it. When he noticed he instantly let go and blushes as does Kagome.

"Sorry, so what happened to the unknown priestess?"

"She simply vanished, nothing more was ever heard of her."

"That was an amazing story, thank you for sharing it with me."

"You're welcome, Bruce, though I think we should go inside, it's getting late. Tomorrow the shrine is closed so you and I have all day to work on some meditation techniques." Kagome tells him.

They go into the house with their shopping bags and head upstairs. Kagome goes to her room while Bruce goes to his. Before walking in they wish each other goodnight.

Bruce puts his new clothes away and changes into his pajama bottoms and t-shirt. Then he goes to the bathroom to do his nightly routine. Going back to his room he takes off his shirt and lies down on the bed. Turning off the light he settles down to go to bed. But as he lies there waiting for sleep to take him, his mind wanders to Natasha, and he wonders if she's even concerned for him at all.

Their relationship hadn't gotten very far, but he did care for her. He wonders if their relationship would have led anywhere if he had stayed, or were they just two lonely people sharing a moment. When sleep finally took him, Bruce ended up dreaming of Natasha.

The next day Bruce woke up early to the smell of coffee brewing, he quickly slipped on his t-shirt went to the bathroom to do his business, and then went downstairs. He finds Kagome making breakfast for just two people. Bruce gives her a questioning look.

Kagome smiles at him, "My mom and brother get up late on Sunday, so I thought you and I could have a nice quiet breakfast." She explains.

Hulk rumbles in contentment at the thought of being alone with Kagome, which strikes Bruce as odd.

"That would be very nice."

Kagome invites Bruce to sit while she serves him breakfast, she had learned the day before that Bruce was a vegetarian, but that he did eat fish and eggs so today she made him some eggs along with the traditional Japanese breakfast. Once Kagome serves herself, she and Bruce begin to eat.

"So, Bruce, in order for me to help you, I need to know you a little better. Would you mind telling me about yourself and about Hulk?"

Bruce hesitated for a minute, he didn't want to frighten Kagome, but he could see she was very interested in knowing about him. And for some reason Bruce felt this need to open up to her. So he told her everything about himself, things that he had never told another human being, not even Tony or Betty.

Bruce told her about his childhood about how his father was an abusive alcoholic and that he murdered his mother in front of him when he was a child. How he was picked on in school. Before he knew it, Kagome had come over to his side of the table and was hugging him. He stiffened at first then slowly melted into her embrace.

He went on to tell her how he found solace in studying and how he worked to get seven degrees. Then he told Kagome of his work with the military and the super soldier serum. And then his accident with the Gamma Radiation.

"And that's how Hulk was born."

Kagome studies Bruce for a long moment she begins to push her aura into him to see if what he think is true, but she doubts it. Kagome is of the opinion that Hulk has always been apart of Bruce, part of his personality that protects him when the stress or the pain is too much. Only now with the exposure to the Gamma Radiation, Hulk can now take form in the phyisical world. She decides that now is not the best time to tell him this, though.

Once Bruce finishes his story, and they finish breakfast, Kagome tells him to go upstairs and change into some comfortable clothes, and to bring an extra set with him, then meet her outside. Bruce does as she instructs, wondering why he should bring extra clothes. When he comes outside, Kagome has two mats a basket of food and some drinks.

"Here let me help you with that," Bruce offers.

"Thank you, I thought we could start our lesson in the forest, down by the river, I sometimes go there to meditate it's very peaceful."

They get to the river and Kagome puts down her basket and takes the mats from Bruce. Setting them up so they're facing each other, she invites Bruce to sit. They both sit down and Bruce notices how close they are to each other. They sit in the lotus position and stare at each other for a moment. Once again Bruce can't help observe how young and beautiful Kagome is. A picture of Natasha flashes in his head.

'No, Pretty Pink Girl!' Hulk responds and an image of Kagome smiling flashes in Bruce's head. Confused, Bruce decides to ignore Hulk.

"Okay so what are we doing?" Bruce asks.

"First we sit in the lotus position and then I want you to close your eyes, breath deeply and relax."

"You know I've done meditation before, it only helps to a point." Bruce informs her.

"Yes, but now you're going to do it with me, and you'll see the difference."

"Okay."

Bruce takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and begins to meditate. He slowly feels his body relax, suddenly he feels Kagome take both of his hands in hers.

"Okay Bruce, I'm going to start now, you're going to feel a warm sensation fill your body, but don't be afraid, it's just me."

Bruce nods and continues to meditate. While he's meditating, he feels his hands begin to warm up and tingle, the warmth and tingling sensation begins to spread through and with it a deep sense of peace and serenity. His heart rate begins to slow, while all the stress that he usually harbors begins to fade. He takes a deep breath and sighs.

"Are you calm, Bruce?"

He nods

"Do you feel at peace?" Kagome asks.

Again he nods.

"Good, now I want you to let go and let Hulk come out."

"What?!" Bruce asks almost panicked.

"It's alright, Bruce, Hulk would never hurt me, I need to help him as much as I need to help you."

Bruce starts pulling his hands away, but Kagome holds on to them firmly.

"It's alright, let him out."

Bruce is about to get up but suddenly Hulk surges forward, catching Bruce off guard, and Bruce sink into oblivion.

And at that instant Hulk is sitting there in front of Kagome. Kagome reaches out for Hulk's hands which he takes, she smiles at him.

"Hi." is all she says.