five years | 1

Chapter 1:
Five years

"I'll treat you so special"
-PRETTYMUCH (Would You Mind)

It was a fair evening when the small cries of a little boy had rung throughout the air; making a mother get up from her spot in a lawn chair and attend her son. The little boy sat on the ground, holding his leg as there now was a small scratch upon it that was red and slowly dripping blood. The mother chuckled a little at her son's overly dramatic behavior, before scooping him up in her arms and bringing him inside. She hummed him a small tune, calming his cries. And as the two entered the home that belonged to their neighbors, a little girl and an even smaller boy had ran up so they were standing in front of a distressed son and mother.

"What happened to Caleb?" The little girl known as Sydney wondered as she cocked her head to the side. The boy beside her that was her brother nodded as he seemed to agree with her question.

"Oh, he just fell off his bike. Nothing too serious. He's just being a baby" his mother teased, making the little boy known as Caleb pout. He crossed his arms as he protested.

"I'm not a baby, mommy. It just hurts" Caleb whined as he wiggled around in his mother's grasp, completely forgetting about his wound that stung at his knee. Eventually the mother understood and placed him on the couch. He got comfortable, staring at his still bleeding skin, while his mother left to go get the first aid kit.

Sydney skipped back towards the kitchen where her own mother was cooking for the friendly dinner, while the other little boy who was named Jack looked back at Caleb. The two weren't too far apart in age and actually seemed to be best friends the second they had their first play date. Or at least that's what their mother's told them. And seeing someone he would call his best friend, Jack climbed on top of the couch, sitting closely beside Caleb.

"I'm not a baby" Caleb blurted. He finally tore his gaze from his knee so that he was staring at Jack. Jack gave a toothy smile in return, nodding.

"I know."