fifteen years | 3

Chapter 3:
Fifteen years

"I can read your mind, I know what you're thinking"
-Why Don't We (Something Different)

Jack took a deep breath in as he ran a hand through his hair once more. His best friend sat at the edge of his bed, eyeing the other over with an annoyed stare. Jack has been staring at him self in the mirror for about a hour now; mumbling here and there about whether he should say something to his parents or not. Caleb was honestly ready to just kick him out of his own room and not allow him back in until he had exposed his secret to his family. Caleb had already done it hoping it would calm Jack's nerves. Not once did it help ease his anxiety. Just because Caleb's parents were so accepting, doesn't mean Jack's would be.

"If you don't just tell them already..." Caleb whined as he threw himself back on Jack's bed with a sigh. It made the other turn and give him a look of distress.

"I can't. This is hard. What if they disown me? Oh god! I'll have to move out and live on the streets!" Jack exaggerated, before flopping himself down beside Caleb. The two stared at the ceiling, Caleb raising his hand. And on his middle finger there was a plain silver band. It was new making Jack wonder about it. "Where'd you get the ring?"

"My mom gave it to me. She wasn't one for jewelry and was about to throw away all of her old rings. I found two of them that weren't all that girly and kept them" Caleb answered blandly. Jack was in awe at the answer, raising his own hand to touch at the metal loop that was wrapped around his friend's finger.

"So where's the other one?"

Caleb moved his head to take a small glance at Jack before placing his hand in his jeans' pocket. It wasn't long before he was pulling out another silver band; but it had small engraves that looked like vines for a design that went around it. He motioned it towards Jack, the younger taking it and inspecting it's beauty.

"It's yours."

"What?" Jack asked in shock as he looked at Caleb.

"Yeah. It's like a friendship ring. I was trying to figure out a better time to give it to you, but right now is good I guess" Caleb snickered. Jack smiled himself as he slipped the ring upon his own slim middle finger, admiring how it looked on his hand.

"Thank you" Jack breathed. He sat up, looking down at Caleb's still laying form. The two stared at each other for a few moments enjoying the calm silence. "I'm gonna go talk to them now."