eighteen || books

hye ji

"mr go will be with you shortly. meanwhile, you can take a seat in his office." the front desk lady says politely to both jeno and i.

taeil had sent us on an errand to pick a few documents up from the government's office. mr go was a minister that was in charge of blackjack's affairs. though he possessed no special abilities, he still had decent knowledge on our background.

the two of us then head to the minister's office and push the pair of doors open.

as soon as we entered, the scent of paper and books were evident and there were many different shelves that surrounded the large room. it almost seemed like a mini library.

"is he a fan of books, or what?" jeno comments, and i ignore him as i approach one of the many shelves. taking a look at the book titles, i realise that they were all about supernatural powers and abilities.

there were also a few journals and a lot of the books were mostly worn out or the book spines were detached.

"books like this exists?" jeno gaped at the variety of books.

"of course they do...people like us have been existing for thousands of years, and these are probably the rarest books on us."

i raise my arm and traced my fingers across the shelves. the books were dusty and had a rough touch to it.

however, i pause at one of the books. it wasn't like the others. it wasn't dusty, and in fact seemed like it was recently read.

curious, i gently pull the journal out of the shelf and turned it so that it was facing me.

the journal's title was

the house of min, history and its successors .

i flip it open.

"hey, are we even allowed to?" jeno whispers and peers at the book.

"i don't know, but it doesn't matter, does it?" i reply as i continue to flip the pages.

"the house of min...i heard of them before. they're really influential within the pure bloods, right?" he says, and i nod.

"now, why would the minister be reading something like this so recently?" i voice my question. "why read about a family that's known to be terribly competitive and ruthless in order to gain power...?"

"and a family that is the the rival of the house of lee." i murmur the last sentence to myself.

my fingers halt at a single page. it was folded at the top.

two years ago on one faithful day in august, the son of the current head of the House of Min, as well as his wife, passed on in their very own mansion. it was said that they were assassinated by enemy families.

however, it was found out that the two deceased had had a son, but he was nowhere to be found in the house where his parents had died. so, the current head of the House of Min(in other words, the grandfather of the son the couple had) sent hundreds of people to find his grandson who had became the sole successor to the House of Min overnight.

unfortunately, all efforts were in vain as the grandson was nowhere to be found.

till today, not a single trace of him was discovered and his disappearance now lies in mystery.

the only lead on finding him is his name.

and his name is...

"what are the two of you doing?" an annoyed voice came from the door and hye ji abruptly closed the journal.

"i believe taeil didn't instruct you to snoop around." the authoritative voice came closer and snatched the journal out of my hands.

"mr go," i greet the middle aged man nonchalantly as if nothing ever happened. " good evening. we're here to take the documents for taeil?" i say with a smile.

mr go scoffs and nods. "why can't the fool come take it himself? and even sent people like you from the house of lee...what on earth is wrong with him?"

"sorry, sir, but i'm not from the house of lee..." my smile falls as i hear him addressing me like that.

he retrieves a few folders from his locked drawer and hands them to jeno.

"you can say that you aren't, but blood is thicker than water."

i let out a short, sarcastic laugh. "if you dislike full, pure blooded people like me, then why are you reading about that family?"

"so you have read that page, child?" the man finally lifts his gaze to look me in the eye.

his lips pull into a smug smile.

"then i suggest you had better left ace, or else things will get messy when the truth gets out."

__________________________

A/N: aaaand im back ! hopefully my exams are okay...hahaha...
-m