PRESENT CARDS #1

a/n: will renjun finally confess in this extra story?! merry christmas and a happy new year, everyone! this will be my last publish of 2019 :p

Special Episode THREE

Two weeks after the end of the main story.

"Hyeji...thanks for coming."

Taeyong, Lee Hyeji's older brother, handed her a wine glass filled with reddish liquid. No, it wasn't wine — she was still underage, so it was grape juice.

"It's a dance party to celebrate you taking over the House. I could afford...to attend." Hyeji accepts the the glass sheepishly, trying hard not to let it show.

That's right, she was currently at the mansion belonging to the House of Lee. Her old house, where she used to live.

She didn't like how classy and glamours these parties are, but it was her older brother's 'coronation' party. That is a valid reason for her to come home. Just temporarily.

Her brother chuckles. "You really didn't bring a partner?"

"Yeah. I don't need one."

"Well...okay. I have to say, I expected it, Ji. Though, I half believed that you would bring that petite boy from ace." A meaningful smile creeped up his face.

She knitted her brows together. "And why would I trouble him?"

He shrugs. "Trouble him, huh? Who knows."

Taeyong leaves her with a vague answer. Someone whom she doesn't recognise calls out to him, and before he left, he said something along the lines of enjoy yourself, then soon vanishing from sight.

"What..." Hyeji mumbled. What a brother, leaving his sister alone just like that.

She thought.

With a sigh, she steps towards a corner of the ballroom, hoping to seem as insignificant as possible. She may have chosen to cut ties with the House, but nonetheless, was still Lee Hyeji.

She tipped the glass of grape juice towards her lips, the sweet liquid making her feel a little better.

Soon enough, she finished her drink. A friendly waiter offered to take her empty glass, and so she gladly accepted.

As she was smoothing out the creases on her navy blue dress that reached just past her knees, dance music began to play. Those slow dancing, couple dance ones, of course.

One by one, pair by pair, people started to gather at the heart of the ballroom and began to dance.

This is...boring.

She crossed her arms, searching the ballroom for her older brother. She could've just made a short appearance, but Taeyong had asked her for a favour. And that was for her to dance with him.

Yet, he was presently nowhere to be seen.

Hyeji lets out a slow breath once again, well, not until an unfamiliar man approaches her.

"Good evening, miss. You're Hyeji, right? May I have this dance?" He offers her his hand.

The man seemed to be about in his mid thirties. Her eyes trailed onto his cuff links, in which she instantly recognises.

"...Yes, I am," She quickly responds. This man belonged to one of the Houses that were on friendly terms with the family. "But I'm sorry, I have to turn you down on that offer."

The man was surprised. "Why?"

"I'm just not interested to dance..." She trails off, not finishing her sentence. Not interested to dance with someone she doesn't know.

"But it's such a pity! You're dressed so beautifully," The man retracts his hand. Hyeji internally breaths a sigh of relieve — but not for long.

"It would be a waste for your pretty face too."

The man's cold fingers touches her cheek. She frowns, and on reflex, grabs his wrist to pull his arm away.

He does not budge.

"Let go,"  She warns, shooting him a glare. The man's lips curved into a wicked smile.

"I said let go of me!"

Hyeji musters all of her strength to yank his fingers away from her face. She succeeds.

However, man retaliates by using his other hand to grab her arm, pulling her to himself.

She squirms under his grip.

"Stay still." His voice was dark, quite a contrast to his earlier tone.

"What? You think I'll listen? Get off me!"

Just as she wanted to try and shrug him off again, to her surprise, the man's arm goes limp and falls to his side. He takes a single step back and away from her.

Hyeji looks up at the man in astonishment. His orbs glowed a familiar green hue. When it faded, a familiar back separates her and that man.

...Renjun?

"What do you think you're doing?"

Renjun's voice was filled with anger.

The man blinked a few times, confused. He probably didn't realise that he had been mind controlled.

"I, er,"

She doesn't know what kind of expression Renjun had on his face, but when the man looked up at him and met his eyes, he took a careful step back.

"Sorry. I didn't know she had a partner."

He quickly says, then scurries away.

After ensuring that that man was truly gone, Renjun turned to face her.

His hair was styled such that it was slicked back, and he was wearing a smart black suit that fit him like a glove. Not to mention, the leather shoes he rarely ever wore. In fact, Hyeji probably has never seen him put those on.

For just that moment, she didn't breathe.

"Umm...thanks. Why are you here?" She breathes out, her voice soft.

He smiles. "Just to save you."

Hyeji rolls her eyes. "Since when have you been this corny?"

"I'm just kidding. Well...I came because Taeyong instructed me to be your dance partner."

"What?"

"So," Renjun slides his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. "Dance with me,"

He stares down at her, his eyes serious.

She was taken aback by the sudden proximity and gaze, causing her to involuntarily blush.

Seeing that she didn't reply, his smile widens.

"It's fine if you don't answer, because I won't take 'no' as a reply."

His arm tightens around her waist as he leads her to the dance floor.

Still feeling the warmth in her cheeks, she glanced up at Renjun as they began their dance. Seems like she isn't alone in feeling strangely embarrassed.

There was just a hint of red on his cheeks.

About mid way through the song that was playing, Renjun breaks their silence first.

"Hey..."

"Yeah?" She replied swiftly.

"I, um, have something to tell you?"

His statement came out as more of a question.

Puzzled, she looks up at him. His orbs weren't on hers.

It seems that he's struggling to find words. He breathes a deep sigh, before finally turning to look her in the eyes.

"I like you, Lee Hyeji."

______________________________

a/n: i knoooow. why did i end it here TT