twenty one || information

A/N: have I ever mentioned that renjun's my bias wrecker? why'd he have to be Peter Pan....oh god

and yes, i still can't get over it, okay?

renjun

"after all you have found out, renjun, do you think you can trust taeil?" hyeji asks me one day when she visits me in my research lab.

"me?" i ponder on her words. "we'll have to see...when i get my hands on his information."

"his information..." she repeats, trailing off in thought as she twirls a ball pen between her fingers. "you said you have a plan, what is it?"

"ah, about that," i push myself off my swivel chair and approached a shelf filled with books and research material.

i pick out a book with a dark green coloured cover.

"that's why i called you here today. i need your help with this."

i walk over to her and hand her the book.

"it doesn't have a title..." she furrows her brow in confusion.

"of course not," i reached my fist out and gently knocked on the cover of the book. there was a loud, clear sound.

"the book's hollow. what's important is it's contents." i flash a proud smile.

she carefully opens up the book and removes whatever that was hidden in it.

it was a large piece of folded up parchment paper.

she slowly opens up the paper, her eyes widening. "a blueprint...of our headquarters?"

i shake my head. "correction. a blueprint of joker's headquarters."

"what? what exactly are you planning?"

i chuckle, pushing myself onto my desk beside her. "getting details of taeil, of course. the confidential ones. and if there's any that we don't know of, it's definitely the enemy's."

"you're going to hack into their system?!" she exclaims, surprised.

"shhhh," i quickly silence her by covering her mouth with my hand. "that's exactly it. how else would we get to find out?"

when she finally calmed down, i remove my hand from her.

"that's crazy, what happens if you get caught?"

"now that's one wrong thing. if i get caught, you get caught too. if we don't get this information, we can't progress. so? are you in?" 

"...tell me first, why are you risking so much to find out?" she doesn't answer my question.

"thought you'd ask. you may not believe me, but i really just want the thrill. the challenge. i want to find out. i want to know." i tell her the truth.

"alright then, i'm..." she hesitates for a split second. "i'm in."

______________________________

"take these," i pass her a pair of light blue in ears and a smartwatch. "pretty obvious what they are. hold the watch to your lips while pressing the button at the side to speak,"

"and if you need to see the blueprint, simply press the screen. it will pop up like this," i click the screen on my own watch and a 2D image pops up before me.

"okay." she wears her watch and plugs in her in ear.

"this is just in case we get separated." i add.

"alright, you know the plan, yeah?" i glance at her and she nods firmly.

the two of us made our way to the backdoor entrance while putting on their masks and caps. it was most likely that there would be no one on the first floor since most of their facilities were underground.

besides, joker doesn't have any other recruits except for joker themselves.

"hold on." i nimbly reach for the knob and twist it open. the door opens with a soft creak and we both slip inside.

"to the left, renjun." she whispers from behind me.

we turn into the left hallway and soon enough i spot a stairway going downwards.

we swiftly made our way down. the basement hallways were lighted up with wax candles and the walls were old and cracked. it would explain why the blueprint was so old too.

"this is their living space. their computer lab is down another level," she informs me. "but the stairs to b2 is on the other end of this hallway."

i hear her sigh.

this headquarter's layout is indeed very complicated...

"let's go." i grab her hand and walked through the extensive hallway as silent as possible.

we were gradually nearing the stairway when we arrived at a cross section with another hallway to our right, when voices came from ahead of us.

alarmed, i quickly pulled her into the hallway on our right and it was, unfortunately, a dead end.

i cursed under my breath, but soon made a decision.

we walked to the furthest corner of the dead end and hid ourselves in the shadows.

the voices were getting louder, to the point that we could even hear their footsteps closing in on us.

i felt hyeji's breath hitch as they walked pass us, and fortunately, they were gone.

once i was sure that the coast was clear, i turned to check on hyeji, only for me to frantically pull away from her.

i didn't even realise it, but the two of us were pressed closely together against the wall.

"s-sorry. you alright?" i check up on her and she mumbles a reply of yes.

"good. come on then." we then exit the short hallway and made our way down another level.

surprisingly, different from the level above us, this level had brightly lit, wide hallways and no sign of wax candles. only led lights.

"wow, joker. surprise surprise." i say, amused.

i turn toward hyeji. "i think most of them are upstairs already. it should be safe for now."

"not really a good idea to drop our guards, though?" i suggest.

"right. let's quickly move on before it's too la–"

my voice was cut off by a door opening beside us.

"oh, no," i murmur under my breath. "it's already too late."

___________________________

a/n: uh oh?