Chapter Twelve

The Trackers and the Trailers

Chapter Twelve

Violet

We found a table of to the side of the dance floor and sat down. We began to chat and I saw Izzabela heading towards us.

"Trent!" She yelled, "You are dead!"

He frowned, "What did I do?"

"Ruin everything! How could you! How did you even know?!" She was becoming frantic.

"Listen," he said coldly, "I helped her. You were going to kill her. Doing that to someone innocent is wrong. You know that."

She laughed, "Yes, yes. Mom and her perfection. Well, you know what? I don't give a crap. And, if you're going to fight me, I'll win."

"You'll win?" he snorted, "Yeah, okay. Did you hear? I'm the most powerful Lightning User in history." To prove it, lighting flashed behind us. Then I heard thunder, and I knew Pheonix was on our side.

She seemed to be concentrating. Suddenly, a little ball of fire appeared in front of her. Then it grew bigger, and bigger, and bigger, until it was the largest fire ball I'd ever seen. "Di d you hear? I'm the most powerful Fire User in history."

And then a battle broke out.

Trent collapsed because he had used too much power at once. Izzabela laughed as she ran off school grounds.

I heard Caitlyn gasp from the other side of the field. Then she screamed and fell. Recovering, she ran to Trent and me.

Then it clicked.

She had a link with Trent.

"Is-is he okay?" I asked.

She frowned, "Only if I heal him again. Otherwise, he'll die," she said.

"No! That'll make your link to much to handle. You'll die from the impact."

She just stared at me.

"You love him, don't you?" I whispered.

She nodded. "That's why I'm going to this. For Trent."

I bit my lip but nodded. "You know, if you live, and after all of this is over, we can all go out and get some ice cream."

She smiled, but it didn't touch her eyes.

"Good luck," I whispered.

She nodded. Then she leaned over Trent, placing her hands on his chest. She closed her eyes and began. Trent's eyes opened.

But Caitlyn's didn't.

Caitlyn

I gaped at myself.

I was dead, just lying there, in the middle of the field, dead.

Crap.

I'd always known I'd die young. Probably with all of this mental crap or whatever.

I looked back down at my body and then at Trent. "She did this...for me?" he was asking Violet.

Her eyes glistened with tears, "Yeah," she said so quietly I almost couldn't hear her.

"Why?" Trent asked.

Violet bit her lip and stared at me. Well, the old, mortal, me.

I began to nod and say yes, but she couldn't hear me. I moved closer, to her ear, and whispered, "Tell him!"

She gasped.

"What?" Trent asked, looking at her.

She stumbled and began to cry. Trent held her against his chest and I felt a ping of jealousy.