Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen

Pheonix

I woke up in the morning feeling groggy. I got dressed and waited for Landon to get there. A light rap on my door told me to answer.

"Hey," I said, closing the door behind me.

"You ready for this crap?" he asked.

I sighed, "I guess."

"We should go right now. I need to talk to Trent about some stuff."

"What stuff?" I asked him.

He shrugged as he grabbed my hand and pulled me over the threshold of the door.

It was packed in the emergency gym. It took us a while to find Trent, then find a seat. When the meeting began, everyone shifted nervously in their seats.

"Pheonix Berar, Ashton Glyer, Ferma Hughs, Luci Klone, and Kaylen Jones make up group one." Mrs. Mallounie announced.

"Trent Denuns, Sarah Mell, Spencer Rem, Haiylliye Nomes, and Nolan Banks make up group two," Mr. Frows said.

"Group three is Gamma Underdoes, Raechelle Dawns, Brei Frank, Veronica Gulls, and Violet Guharus," Mrs. Mallounie said.

All I knew is that I was in group one and Landon was in group seventeen. All in all, there were 120 groups.

Trent

"We were so close to being in the same group!" Violet cried.

"I know. But only five in each group? Are they crazy?"

"I don't know."

Pheonix frowned, "Probably. It's almost impossible that I'm in group one."

"And the kids," Landon said, "All of the younger ones are in groups without people in their teens."

Raechelle looked around and then said, "They did do it by age. I hacked their system with my laptop. I wish I would've changed the groups, but they weren't finished yet."

Veronica pushed her way through the crowd to us. "Violet, I don't get it. We're the only two in the whole school who have names that start with V. How'd we get in the same group?"

A frown formed on Violet's face, "I don't know, but this is really starting to creep me out."

"Yeah," everyone agreed.

Violet

"I have an idea," I said.

"What?" a few asked.

"We could have our groups team up. Sure, it's risky, but it might help."

Trent looked at me, "That's the best idea I've heard all day."

"Yep." Raechelle agreed.

"I hope it works!" Pheonix said.

"Me, too!" Veronica was smiling for the first time in hours.

"It better," I said.

"Where will we meet?" Trent asked.

I frowned. "I dunno. The big tree behind the emergency gym?"

"Yeah, that works," Landon said.

"Group one meet at the office," an unrecognizable voice said over the loud speaker.

We all meet behind the emergency gym at the big tree as planned. From there, we set off.

"I know where they are," I said quietly to Trent.