Twenty

I hurried with my hood up and pulled tight around my face,  I approached the main entrance and looked as the row of numbers on the panel, there were a gazillion different combinations I could try, but my luck was in, a young man came hurrying out, I pretended I was fumbling in my bag for my keys.

"here you go ma'am" he smiled holding the door open, cole came hurrying in behind me.

"I told you to wait in the car" in whispered

"I couldn't let you come in here on your own, you don't know what he's capable of" he glanced around at the dingey entrance block, buckets on the floor collecting drips from the patches on the roof "so now what?"

"I could text him, pretend I'm Olivia, tell him to meet me at the door"

"that's not going to work" Cole frowned.

I looked down at Olivias phone in my hand that had begun vibrating.

"what's wrong?" Cole asked.

"it's Frankie, he's calling Olivia, what do I do"

"shh" Cole ordered he tilted his head like an animal "this way"

"what is it?" I whispered as we neared a corner.

"shh" he pressed his finger against his lip "listen"

I held my breath and tried my hardest to hear what Cole could hear.

Then I heard it... Faint...but it was there...

The faintest little baby cry, the cry she cries when she was tired and wanted her mama.

"Cole" I bit back the tears.

"let's go get our babies back"

We hurried down the corridor until Cole abruptly stopped outside a door "in here" he mouthed pointing at the door numbered 76.

"pull your hood up and face the other way" Cole asked.

"why?" I frowned.

"just do it, Bella"

HE waited for me to turn my face before he knocked on the door.

I heard footsteps coming towards the door and Romanies cry getting closer.

"Olivia! About time, I've been trying to call you, the kid won't stop crying" he pulled open the door.

"Bella!" he gasped trying to slam the door shut.

"I don't think so pal" Cole wedged his foot in the door and used his strength to push the door open.

"give her to me Frankie" I pleaded.

"look, give Bella the baby and we'll forget all about this little miss-hap"

"do you think I'm an idiot?" a crazy glint shone in his eye "Bella tell him it's me that you want to be with, tell him how happy we were before he came along"

"Frankie you know we were just friends, your Tyler's uncle he looked up to you, you were his hero"

"again until big daddy came along"

"I would never have stopped you having a relationship with Tyler" Cole chimed in.

"it isn't the relationship with Tyler that I wanted, it's Bella" he turned his crazy eyes back to me "please Bella"

"Frankie passes romanie to me, she needs me to look" I pointed to her, the tiny little bundle in a soft pink blanket.

"w-wheres Tyler?" Cole asked nervously.

"why do you think I'd hurt him?" he spat.

"No Frankie" I panicked trying to defuse the situation "He didn't mean it like that, he just wants to know he's okay that's all"

"he's fine Bella, he's sleeping" he replied softly, I took a step closer to him, I felt Cole wince "she needs her mama Frankie, please" I whispered softly, I stretched my arms out, and Frankie reluctantly passed her to me, part of me wanted to get Tyler and run, but it would never be the end...

HE would always be there, we'd always be watching over our shoulders, listening out for every little bump in the night.

I passed cole the baby, "get Tyler and get to the car"

"I'm not leaving you with him isabella, not a chance"

"please Cole, I'll be fine"

The three of themselves left.

Leaving Frankie and me in the empty apartment, "How did it come to this?" I asked sitting down on the flooring next to him.

He stared into space not saying a word.

"Frankie" I sighed "You were my best friend, how could you do this to me?"

"Because I love you, Bella, I love Tyler I thought we had all the time in the world, I thought I could fix what he broke"

"Frankie, it was never your job to fix anything"

He stood up "fuck it, I'm going away for a long time" my heart sank I could tell by the coldness in his voice something bad was going happen, when he turned to face me he had a gun pointing in my face.

"if I can't have you, Bella, then no-one can" he spat

"Frankie" I screamed, "please no" I covered my face with my hands somehow thinking they would protect me from the bullet that was about to be embedded in my skull.

I closed my eyes, memories of Tyler taking his first steps, my wedding day, the moments romanie was placed into my arms all flashes in my mind.

Crack!

I heard the trigger pull, "NOO" I screamed, but nothing happened, then I felt a thud Infront of me, I opened my eyes and watched as Frankie's lifeless body dropped Infront of me.

My hands speckled with blood, my body is too much shock to react, I looked up and saw Olivia holding a gun in her hands staring at Frankie so body on the floor.