Twenty Two

I opened my eyes my head was pounding, and everything felt like it was just an awful dream, it took a few minutes for my brain to fully engage, yes it happened... The deep pang of guilt, Frankie was dead, his body lying somewhere waiting for somebody to make the gruesome discovery.

"good morning sleepy head" Cole grinned.

"Morning" I croaked, "where are the kids?" panic rising in my voice.

"they are fine baby" cole soothed brushing my hair back "Laura's taken them for some fresh air"

"where are we?" I asked noticing I Wasn't in our bedroom

"I've brought a cabin, you know like we always planned"

"why?"

"because we needed to get away, just us we all need to come to terms with what happened, and I thought the peace and quietness of the lake would help"

"help with what? The fact I'm now an accessorise to murder?" I could feel the pang of guilt, it felt like sick fighting its way to my throat.

"Bella, I know you don't want to hear this right now but..." he smiled softly "Frankie had a nervous breakdown, he didn't mean for what happened, what you need to remember, it was you Bella or him and I know this isn't nice to say about a dead man but I'm glad, I'm glad he's dead and I hope he's rotting in the hottest part of hell"

"Cole, I-" I began to speak, he lifted his finger to my lips, "Bella shh, no more talk of what happened, I want you to rest"

"What have you done with his body?"

HE signed and looked at me "what do you want to happen to his body?"

I shrugged "I don't know, I just don't like the thought of him being in some unmarked grave in the middle of nowhere"

Cole kissed me softly "I promise, I'll show him dignity and give him a proper burial, in a proper cemetery, not that he deserves it"

"Cole" I scowled.

"What Bella? The guy tried to fucking kill you, he stole my fucking children what was he going to do to them?" his face scrunched with anger "and you what? Want me to Bury the guy with a bunch of lillys? Whilst we play Amazing Grace?"

"No, I mean, I don't know Cole! He was a person! He was Tyler's fucking godfather, he was the one who was there for us when you didn't care"

I stopped realising I'd gone too far.

"Was that my fault Bella? Did I tell you to take my son and run? If I'd of known you were pregnant Bella none of this would have happened"

"Well yeah, I was going just drop it into conversation whilst you were being mounted by your secretary, it would have been perfect timing wouldn't it"

"Bella look, we can't change the past, so for your and Tyler's sake I'll give him the burial you want"

"I'm sorry" I whispered to Cole as he walked out the room, he stopped by the door.

"Stop saying you're sorry, you haven't done anything wrong"

He shut the door behind him leaving me in the dark silence, I laid in bed listening to the children giggling playing their games outside, and I felt like the world's worst mother, how had I let someone come into my home and just take my children, and now I haven't even got the energy to go and cuddle them and tell them everything's okay, even though I knew how much I needed the cuddle more than they did.

We stayed in the cabin for the whole of the holidays, we had the most beautiful intimate Christmas, which made a change instead of the 3 Michelin star chefs cooking us a 4-course lunch, you had cole and I attempting to cook a turkey, which was a disaster, Luckily we found the only take away in a 15-mile radius that was open, and for Christmas lunch, we had Chinese noodles Infront of a log fire whilst watching the grinch, and it couldn't have been any better.

That night Cole and I laid in bed "I'm ready to go home" I said quietly, as I laid on his chest.

"Are you sure?"

"As much as I'd love too, we can't stay here forever"

"We'll leave at the end of the week, only if that's what you really want, and you're 100% ready"

"with you 3 by my side, I'm always ready"