~Chapter 12~

"Momma look what I found! It's a frog!!" the little boy shouted running back to his mother and holding his precious finding with extra caution. His mother cringed at the sight of her son's alive toy.

"Go leave it where you found it! What if his family is looking for him? Don't you feel bad for abducting him?!" she said trying to persuade the child to put the little frog down.

I stood at the edge of Caleb's backyard, watching the kids -or pups as I hear these werewolf people call them- playing around while their mothers chat among themselves. Caleb left me alone for the first time this week, but I could swear he has hidden a camera somewhere and he checks his phone every half a minute. However it's been two days now that the thought of killing myself hasn't crossed my mind, not more than once or twice anyway.

Even though I can't communicate with my family, I can see them whenever I want. Or whenever Caleb has the time to take me there. I tried going alone once and I was lost in the woods for two hours before he found me. He was so relieved to find me alive that for the rest of that day he stayed with me no matter what.

To be honest, I am starting to care about him which really freaks me out given the fact that I only know him for a week. He treats me like I'm fragile, made of porcelain, and he has never raised his voice or shouted at me. He is just so patient and caring. Even when I mention suicide he doesn't say anything, although I can see he's hurt.

Yesterday he was talking about me and my place to the pack and how it's gonna take some months for me to learn how to be a Luna. It hit him hard when I told him I don't have months but days. I saw his eyes fall and his whole mood changed from hyped to depressed in seconds. That's when I realized that I have feelings for him. I felt so guilty and so heartbroken to see him like that knowing that it was my fault. I tried talking to Faye, my only friend, but she said it's because we're mates.

I don't understand fully how this mate bond works yet. But from what they told me, it's like destiny got a helping hand from nature. Like me and Caleb were destined to be together, to meet and fall for each other but by being mates this whole "procedure" sped up.

No matter how or why I can't deny that I have feelings for him. But I am afraid. What if I do fall in love with him but then something happens and I lose that faded connection to my family? Then the only way out would be death and I would never be able to kill another loved one to see the rest. Which means I would lose my family.

"My Luna, do you want to talk about what's weighing your head?" an old woman sits next to me and I sigh. Maybe I do have to tell someone how I feel and how confused I am. Maybe she can help me.

"I am confused. I can't decide what I want most. Family or love?" I sigh and she smiles at me.

"Who said you have to choose? If it's love, it's family. And if it's family, it's love" she says and leaves before I have a chance to fully comprehend what she said.

I sat there thinking about the wise -or crazy- lady  and I completely forgot about time.

"Luna Emma" a pup was tagging my dress trying to catch my attention.

"Hello sweetie. How can I help you?" I smiled at the child squatting to her height.

The little blonde girl smiled back and gave me a note. I took the note but before I got the chance to thank her, the little girl run away chuckling.

I looked down at the note and a smile spread on my face.

Meet me in our room. I have a surprise for you.