~Chapter 20~

"Baby, I know you can hear me. I feel terrible for what I did to you. I feel like killing myself for putting you through this. I act strong and tough for the pack but I just want to shrink away in my room and cry. I want to cut myself. But I can't let you down yet again. Please come back to me. I don't know how much longer I'll last without you. I need you, baby. I love you" she whispers in my ear, holding my hand and brushing her fingers through my hair. I ache to give her what she wants. I want to wake up and hold her in my arms. But Jax is so stubborn.

She doesn't love us. She hurt us.

She didn't mean to. She was angry and hurt that we lied. Stop acting like a baby. It was barely even a scratch and you made it look like we were dying.

She shouldn't have hurt her mate.

No she shouldn't have, but she's sorry. Can't you hear her? Every day for the last ten days she comes in, cuddles up next to us and cries her eyes out. She's going to hurt herself if you don't wake us up.

She talks to you not to me.

You're jealous? Are you fucking serious?

She doesn't love me.

If she gets hurt because of you, you better find a whole to hide in!

~~~

It's been almos two weeks and Caleb still hasn't woken up. Outside I look calm and optimistic - or at least I'm trying to. But inside I feel like I'm dying a slow and painful death. It's the worst feeling in the world, having hurt your mate. Knowing he doesn't wake up because of it.

The doctor said talking to him might help. So that's what I am doing. Every day, every free minute I have, I cuddle next to his moveless body and talk to him. But so far there has been no reaction. He hasn't even moved a finger.

At least he's not in pain anymore. Not physical pain anyway. The wound in his neck is like it never existed. But I can feel his sadness. He feels like I don't love him. But I don't know what else to do to show him that I'm sorry and that I love him so much.

On the other hand, Faye avoids talking to me more than it is necessary. She helps me look after the pack but that's it. Kyle is handling it a bit better. The rest of the pack will learn the truth after Caleb wakes up. If it goes out now, I'm risking a riot, and since the Alpha is unavailable, there might be attempts to take over control.

Cia is pouty too. She's mad at me, on top of everything. She's right though. I'm mad at myself, but it doesn't help. Instead, it feels like I've lost one more ally.

"Hey" a soft voice breaks me out of my thoughts. I lift my head up, never leaving Caleb's hand, and I stare at Kyle standing at the door.

"Hi" I say but it comes out more as a whisper.

"He's going to be fine, you know that right?" he says sitting at the other side of the bed and looking at my mate. "If I know my best friend, he's fighting with himself right now".

"I'm trying to help, I really am. But I don't know what else to do Kyle. It hurts. I just want him back. I want him to look at me with those green and gold eyes and tell me it's going to be fine. I want him to get up and go for a run with me. I want Jax to act like the adorable puppy he is and cuddle next to Cia. Or make out after he gets irritated by other males checking me out because I wore shorts. I want them back" I say and feel the tears run freely down my face. I sob and bury my face to Caleb's bed catching his hand and just for a second it feels like he holds mine. But it's just my imagination. He didn't move.

"Be strong Emma. He loves you too much to never wake up" says Kyle. "And if he doesn't wake up, I can always risk him killing me by kissing you but it will definitely wake him up!" he jokes and I chuckle, feeling a little better.

"Thank you Kyle, I needed to talk to someone. And thanks for making me laugh a little"

"At your service" he says and walks out of the room.

I look down at Caleb and brush the hair off his face. I just want them back.

Emma? Can I please talk to Jax? I miss him so much...

Cia cries in my head and I give her control and privacy. She talks to our mate while I let myself fall asleep on the background.

~~~

"Emma! Emma wake up!" Faye screams and shakes me frantically.

"What? What is it? Did Caleb wake up?" I ask shooting my eyes open but Caleb is still fast asleep next to me, as usual.

"No, we have a pack problem. Get up and get ready to use your Luna voice. Things are getting ugly outside" she says and strides outside without anymore details. What the fuck is happening?

I get up quickly and straighten myself. Cia gets ready to jump in if I need her. I walk outside to see the pack practically devided into two groups shouting at each other, ready to attack at any moment.

Kyle walks up to me, looking angry and exhausted.

"Half of them are supporting you as you are the rightful moon-chosen mate of their Alpha. The other half believes the moon made a bloody mistake choosing you. You have to gain control before they unleash a civil war" he says and I look at Faye who nods at me.

Luna voice it is.

"Nightshade Pack!" I shout in Luna voice. I must stay strong. For Caleb.

"In this difficult moments that have come upon us, we must stay unite. Fighting each other is pointless. But I understand that you need some answers. For those who support me, I'm deeply honored to have your faith. For those who don't, I hope you give me the chance to earn it. All I ask is to wait for the Alpha to wake up. When he does, every question will be answered and everyone deserving of punishment, will be punished. You have my word" I say loudly and most of the pack nods and stops arguing.

"What if the Alpha doesn't wake up? Then what?"

"Then we'll deal with it the best we can. But right now, he needs and deserves more time. Have faith, he won't leave this pack that easy!" I say and everyone nods in agreement.

The problem is still there, I know that. But at least it's postponed. At least there is more time.

"Why did you promise them punishment? You'll have to punish yourself!" Kyle whisper shouts in my ear.

"Then that's what I'm going to do"