CHAPTER SIX: Smoke

Aliah stared through the front window. She didn't know what to think or feel at that particular moment. She was a witch. It made sense, yet it didn't either.

It explained her connection to crystals and candles. How while using them, she felt a tingle under her skin. Yet a witch is born from a magical bloodline, but not necessarily will every offspring have magical capabilities. Aliah knew that her family were not of a magic bloodline.

Her teacher continued to drive to her house. Aliah wondered how she was going to tell her parents and how she was going to a place called Hogwarts in Scotland. It was bizarre but no matter how hard she didn't want to believe it, she trusted Mrs Strega.

Aliah watched the familiar trees and houses of her street. Though when Mrs Strega increased the speed of the car, Aliah knew something wasn't right.

She turned her head to the front window and her jaw dropped at the sight. Cobble steps lead to a double story house. Two grey pillars with green molten designs stood at the end of the decked porch.

Aliah cried out when the white house was hidden by red flames and black smoke. "STOP!" She yelled at her teacher. "STOP!"

It pained Silvia to hear the pleas, but she could not stop. There was a reason why Aliah's parents asked Silvia to watch her and she was not going back on her word to protect their daughter.

She continued to drive as Aliah shook the door handle, trying to unlock it. "OPEN IT!"

"I can't do that," Silvia said calmly but there was an edge to her tone. Aliah leapt over her an tried to pull on the steering wheel.

The car swerved causing Mrs Strega to press the brake. The car abruptly stopped. Aliah willed for the passenger door to unlock. To her wish, the door opened and Aliah fell out tumbling onto the road.

She pushed her self up and ran towards her house, screaming for her family. "MUM! DAD!" Aliah made it to the edge of the drive-way when arms wrapped around her torso, lifting her off her feet.

Aliah squirmed in Mrs Strega's arms but the teacher's grip was too strong. "LET ME GO! LUKAH!"

Hot tears streamed down Aliah's cheeks, almost as if they were fire. Before she knew what was even happening, she heard Mrs Strega whisper words in Latin and Aliah saw black dots. Her eyelids became weights and eventually, she closed them.

-----------------------

She knew it was a bad idea to place a spell on top of another spell, but the danger outweighed the consequences. She only hoped that Aliah would forgive her.

Mrs Strega parked the car in the driveway and ran into the house calling for her husband. Giordano exited the kitchen with a towel thrown over his shoulder.

He grasped his wife's arms in an attempt to calm her and help her focus. "Silvia, what happened? Talk to me,"

"Death eaters came-"

"What? Are you ok?"

"Yes I'm fine but Giordano they came for her. They came for Aliah," Mrs Strega held back the water in her eyes. "I drove her away from the school - Lukah had plans to go somewhere else- but when we went by her house, it was in flames,"

"Where is she now?"

"In the back of the car. I had to put her to sleep to prevent her from running into the house,"

"Silvia-"

"I know, I know it was dangerous but I had no choice,"

Giordano let go of her and looked towards the mantel on top of the fireplace. He scanned the pictures of his family. There were pictures of him and his wife when they were younger to their present days with their children.

"We need to go," he sighed. He turned to the door. "I'll get Aliah, you grab the bags,"

'We won't be staying long. Just until she gets back on her feet,"

"I know," Giordano said in a tone that saddened his wife. She quickly reached out for his arm.

"I am sorry for all this,"

Giordano turned his hand to grab Silvia's wrists and pulled her into him. He kissed her forehead. "You do not need to be sorry. Aliah is like a daughter to you and we both knew that there would be a time when this would happen. Now we need to leave as soon as possible. If the death eaters are after Aliah, they will come back for her,"

Silvia gave him a quick kiss before the couple went their separate ways. She quickly packed their bags while her husband grabbed Aliah from the car. They returned in the middle of the living room. Giordano cradled Aliah in his arms while his wife held their bags.

She placed a firm hand on his shoulder, her body slightly shaking from what she was not sure. She wasn't sure if it was of the sudden attack or because they were about to return to the world they both vowed to leave behind.

"It will be ok darling," Giordano whispered. "We go in and stay until Aliah is awake and well, then we leave for good,"

Silvia nodded and closed her eyes. He whispered the spell and they both felt the familiar tug in their stomachs. Before they could think of a thought, the three travellers landed on grass, Silvia's heels sunk into the morning dew.

They both looked up and saw the castle upon the hill. Silvia sent a note to Dumbledore before they left for him to expect their arrival on the grounds.

As they walked the incline of the hill, the sounds that could be heard were their ragged breaths and the chirping of birds. Aliah remained limp in Giordano's arms.

At the gate, they were met by Albus Dumbledore. No words were exchanged when he waved his hand to open the tall, black gate. The couple stole a quick glance at each other than together, they stepped over the line that allowed them into the place where it all began.