CHAPTER TWENTY: Nightmares

Draco returned to his room only to find Aliah asleep on the couch. He walked over to his bed and kneeled beside her. He smiled and curled brown hair around his pale finger. His heart fluttered at how peaceful she looked. Careful not to disturb her, he picked her up bridal style and placed her onto his bed. 

Draco lifted the sheets and quilt and made sure that they covered her. His room was usually cold during the night, especially during the winter months. He tucked her in tight, watching the blankets rise and fall with her breaths. She seemed to have finally let herself relax. He kissed her forehead and returned to the couch to sleep. He believed that she wouldn't be appreciative of waking up next to him, even though he wore a shirt and sweats.

Draco woke up to Aliah screaming. He jumped from his couch and ran to the bed. "Aliah it's ok, I'm here," he placed his hand on her head. She had cold sweats. He gently tapped her cheeks. "Come on, wake up,"

Aliah shot up, breathing heavily. Once she had calmed down, she wrapped her arms around herself. "Draco?" she had water in her eyes, as she turned to him. 

"I'm here," he placed his hand on her arm for reassurance. 

"Can you - can you lay with me?" She asked with a quiver to her voice. Draco knew he couldn't refuse. Of the short time he had known her, he knew that she didn't scare easily. Aliah's body was shivering - and it wasn't from the cold, tears were slowly falling from the corners of her eyes and she couldn't stop staring at the purple ring on her finger.

"Ok," Draco sat on the bed and gently pulled Aliah with him so that they were laying down. He grabbed the blankets and covered them both. The blankets reached his chest while they curled at Aliah's neck.

Wanting to feel safe, she shuffled closer to Draco and buried her face in his chest and mumbled, "Smooth Blondie, smooth,"

Draco laughed and held her closer to his body, wrapping his arms around him. He wasn't surprised at how natural the position felt. He didn't want to ask, but he knew to talk always helped. "What was your dream about?"

He felt Aliah stiffen. Her fist clenched onto his shirt as she stared at the far wall.

The baby looked up to watch her Father sing to her. She felt safe and warm in his embrace. She reached out to touch his face with her tiny hand. He turned his head and kissed the palm of his daughter's hand. He smiled. He had never thought something so precious or small could have captured his heart in a small amount of time.

The peace came in an end as the ground shook. The father jumped from his spot on the steps, turning his body to shield his baby girl from the dark smoke.  Her Father screamed as the dark smoke ripped the child away from his grasp.

He reached out for his daughter but was only able to catch black smoke which soon disappeared in his hands. His heart thumped against his ribcage, threatening to jump out of his body. 

The child's cries echoed through the foyer. She wanted to be returned to her father's loving arms. The father ran and ran searching for his daughter in the smoke. No matter how hard he swiped or moved, his daughter was out of reach and there was nothing he could do. Except for catch smoke in his bare hands. 

"Nothing," Aliah whispered, subconsciously moving on top of Draco. "I can't remember."

----------------------------------------

Aliah woke up and felt around for Draco. Instead of a warm body, she was met with sheets. They were still relatively warm, meaning that Draco had only gotten out of a bed a short while ago. Deciding that she would have to face the day, she pushed back the covers and hopped off the bed.