CHAPTER TWELVE: Date? Date

It had been over a week since Aliah had arrived at the school. She finally had settled her routine for each day. Though at times she found her routine being interrupted by the so-called Slytherin prince. There was something about him though. Something that drew Aliah to the Malfoy heir.

It was Friday lunch when Aliah walked to Professor McGonagall's classroom for her private transfiguration lesson. Alkilina stood proud on the right shoulder as Aliah knocked on the classroom door.

"Come in Miss Holt," Professor McGonagall called. Aliah opened the wooden door and closed it behind her. The transfiguration room was definitely her favourite. The writing on the boards, the natural lightening - it was a beauty in its self.

Professor McGonagall from her chair and walked around her desk. "As you know Miss Holt, this past week was more testing your abilities. Abilities not only in the use of magic and how to control it but more of how skilled of a learner you are." The professor paused before continuing, "Silvia was right, you are bright. So today I want to step up your lessons. This spell I am to teach you is above the first year,"

McGonagall reached for some pins that were laid out on her desk. "I want you to transfigure these into mice," She placed them back onto her desk. The old woman motioned for Aliah to come to the front where she could demonstrate the spell.

It took Aliah a couple attempts to perfect the spell. And when Aliah was successful, mice crawled over Professor McGonagall's desk. The professor was impressed with her granddaughter's quick learning ability. Even more so when Aliah returned the mice to pins before she could do them herself.

Professor McGonagall turned to her owl on the desk. "I want you to try this spell. One, two, three, fera verto," the owl turned into a golden water goblet. Professor McGonagall pointed her wand to Alkilina.

Aliah tapped Alkilina with her wand three times and cast the spell. To her disappointment, the owl did not turn into a water goblet. However, Aliah was determined and tried again. It took the teen a few more times but eventually, the owl was now a black goblet with red gems. 

"Wonderful Miss Holt," McGonagall sang. For the rest of the lesson, Aliah practised turning animals into various objects and back again.

"I think that's enough for today Miss Holt. That was a second-year spell, not many second years could do that,"

"Not many second years are in their fourth year either," Aliah reminded the teacher. 

"How are things for you, Miss Holt?" McGonagall asked concernedly

"Great," Aliah smiled sarcastically. "My family is dead and I'm in a school  where I'm studying with students younger than me."

Aliah shook her head. "I'm sorry. The students and staff here are kind and helpful,"

"There is no reason to be sorry Miss Holt, you were suddenly thrown into a world that you did not know. As for your classes, I can't understand the difficulty but just remember, in Gryffindor, we are all family,"

"Yes Professor, and I sense that amongst the students,"

"And for you?"

"You have to understand Professor, I'm not a person that gets too close with anyone. At home, my cousins and I never got along. Here at Hogwarts, I see and sense the closeness, but it's difficult for me to be a part of that. Yes, it is difficult but I wouldn't change it for anything," Aliah shrugged.

Professor McGonagall nodded her head and waved her hand. "I am your head of house Aliah, any concerns or any problems you come to me. Now go have a break Miss Holt, you need one,"