CHAPTER NINE: The Promise, The Secret, The Lies

By lunchtime, Aliah was carefully lead through the castle to Professor Dumbledore's office by Mrs Strega and Professor McGonagall - who Aliah had learned was the deputy headmistress.

Aliah struggled to walk and though her colour had not returned to her skin - Aliah was determined to not show weakness. Aliah was surprised that there were no students but according to Professor McGonagall, all students were in class due to the first day of term.

Aliah was awed by the statues of the old castle and almost fell backwards as the gargoyle rose to expose a set of stairs. The three climbed the staircase and soon they entered the Headmaster's office.

"Miss Holt, welcome," the old professor greeted. Aliah also noticed the other professor - Professor Snape if she recalled correctly - standing in the corner. His eyes watched her, almost as if he was studying her.

"Now do you know why you are here?"

Aliah shook her head.

"Here at Hogwarts students are placed into one of the four houses - Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin. Each house represents different characteristics and were formed by the founders of the school,"

"How am I sorted into a house?"

"I will place this hat on your head," Professor McGonagall answered. She held up and old wizard hat that was ready to fall apart any day. "Sit on this stool Miss Holt and remain calm,"

Aliah tilted her head back to look at her teacher. Mrs Strega nodded her head and bent down to her eye level, "everything will be alright Aliah and though I told you, you will never be alone, I must leave,"

Aliah opened her mouth but Mrs Strega cut her off, "this is not my world anymore and even though I am not here with you if you ever need me I will be here," she said and gently pushed Aliah forward towards the stool.

Aliah turned around and climbed upon the school and looked at her ex-teacher. "Thank you for everything Mrs Strega," she said as Professor McGonagall placed an old hat on her head.

Aliah almost fell off the stool when a voice talked inside her head. "Intelligent yes, you value knowledge of every kind. I see that you know a few languages and yet you seek more. You are loyal as well as cunning as your Father," Aliah narrowed her eyes. The hat must be wrong - the professors told her that her parents were normal. "You have been through many things, you are a fighter. Therefore I place you in GRYFFINDOR!"

Professor McGonagall took the hat off Aliah's head so she could step down. Once her foot touched the ground a wave of dizziness swept over causing Aliah to misjudge the step.

Darkness covered her vision and Severus ran to her just before her head touched the ground. He gently laid her down and rested her head on his lap.

McGonagall walked over to Severus and placed her hand on his shoulder. He looked up with her with a glint of hope in his eyes. "She really is back,"

",Yes Severus. She really is back and we will not let go of her again," Minerva said, crouching to run her hands through Aliah's hair.

"She must return to the hospital wing, she is still weak," Dumbledore announced. Severus stood up and lifted his daughter into her arms. "I will take her,"

He kissed her forehead and walked slowly to the hospital wing, taking in every second he had with her. He had his daughter back. He will not let her go again.

That was a promise.

--------------------

Aliah woke up early the next morning. She sat up in her cot and stretched, though it was painful from the lack of movement. However, she felt much better than the previous day. She shifted her feet and felt an unfamiliar weight on them. A tabby cat slept peacefully on her bed until a thunderous noise woke it up.

Professor Snape entered the wing with a tray of food. "You must eat Miss Holt. I have been told that I must take you to Diagon Alley to gather school supplies,"

The cat growled at the teacher before jumping off the bed and scurrying out of the room.

"Thank you Sir," Aliah replied as she dug into her eggs and bacon. When she had finally cleared her plate, Professor McGonagall escorted her to the Gryffindor common room with was located in one of the tallest towers of the castle.

When they finally arrived the professor called for everyone's attention. "This is Aliah Holt. She is a new student and has been sorted into this house and I expect all of you to treat her as you would treat one another. That is all. Ginny Weasley!" She called.

Aliah watched as a young red- head pushed her way through the other students and came to a stop in front of Professor McGonagall and herself.

"Miss Holt I would like you to meet Ginny Weasley. You will share a dorm with her along with a few other girls," the professor now turned to the teen. "Will you help her to settle in and prepare for an outing to Diagon Alley?"

"Yes, of course,"

"Good. Have her ready in the hour," Professor McGonagall nodded her head and turned on her heel to leave the common room through the portrait.

Aliah turned back around to Ginny and held out her hand. "Aliah Holt, thank you but if you don't want to help me that's fine but please just show me the dorm,"

Ginny shook her hand and raised an eyebrow, "why wouldn't I help you? We all help each other unless someone is a total git," The two girls laughed as Ginny lead Aliah up the staircase.

Ginny opened the wooden door which to a circular room with five single beds. Ginny pointed to the bed closest to the window which would now be hers. At the foot of the bed, there was a trunk with a letter on top.

Aliah opened and scanned the letter. It was an acceptance letter to the school written by Professor McGonagall along with a list of required equipment and text books.

"So what is your story?" Ginny asked as she slumped onto her own bed.

"My story?" Aliah dug into the trunk and realised that it was her clothes from home that she packed the last night she was there. She closed her eyes. The last few moments with her parents were of arguments.

"Yes, your story, your family your friends and why are you starting at Hogwarts now?"

Aliah turned and sat on the trunk. "Listen, I don't want to be rude, but it isn't really any of your business. For now, let's just say that the reason is important enough for me to leave everything I knew to come here. I had great friends at my old school we were all thick as thieves.

"And your family?" Ginny pressed. Aliah tightened her grip on the end of the trunk.

"I will miss them too, and I'll see them again,"

"Obvioulsy, when the term is over,"

Aliah didn't correct her, that would make everything too real.