Chapter 2

The jaded ring fit perfectly, adjusting to your ring finger as if it was made for you.
The pain oh the so painful throbbing in your side left, leaving only a faint memory behind. A content sigh escaped your lips. You dared to touch the gauze.
No pain.
It was a miracle!
A scream of joy left your mouth next. This was straight up impossible but this little thing ignored all the laws and DID the unbelievable!

With the ring you would be able to make it out alive. Hope overpowered your doubts. A visible spring was in your step as you dashed forward, out of the chamber. And you could think coherently again.
Did Scp 079 let out Shy guy? Did it release more?
Thoughts consumed your way back, which you vaguely remembered.

No Scp's crossed your path, probably because all of them wanted out and not in. Some walls were tainted with blood. You shook at the sight. Luckily you didn't have to pass the massacre again. How you managed to acquire the keycard, was beyond your imagination. You certainly wouldn't be able to even come near a corpse. Heck, see it.

You took a left and saw the next door you had to pass. But the door didn't open. You furrowed your eyebrows puzzled. There was no place to use the keycard, this should open freely. Was this the wrong door?
You tried another door. It didn't budge either even though it should open. Your forehead wrinkled in confusion. Did you choose the wrong way and got lost?
No, that couldn't be, you definitely remembered this way.

Could it be...
...that the AI was cutting off the escape routes?

You scratched your head. Nevertheless, taking a different route it is then. This door had to get unlocked to proceed taking the escape route. You chose a different path with an uneasy feeling inside your stomach.

Completely new environment unfurled itself with every step you took. You would have never guessed that the facility looked so different around every corner. White walls turned to grey, most light was still intact, you hadn't seen a single corpse laying around... The whole atmosphere was far more... relaxing. It was eerily calming.
This part of the building was less touched by terror.
But exactly that was silently freaking you out. Why was it almost peaceful here?

Something caught your attention. A sign which read "surveillance room". Just what you were looking for. Didn't took you long to reach it.

The room was rather small but stuffed with every electronic device imaginable. Screen over screen decorated the walls. You turned towards the computer and sat down. As expected, it was one of the important things that got electricity during an emergency. Luckily, there was no need to type in a password, whether it be an Scp's work or simply because the employee made a run for it as soon as they heard the alarm. After almost falling into deep desperation, you found the right program.

The next problem arrived: which door.
The containment chambers fell into a different category meaning they were unable to access in the surveillance room. "Who thought it was a good idea to give these doors numbers and not simply show their location on a map?!", you groaned frustrated.

The sound of the door opening reached your ears. You spun around immediately.
A security guard stood in the doorframe.

"Thank goodness! Another person!", you cried out relieved. "You have no idea how happy I am to know that I am not the only one that survived! You see, I have no idea how to open the door leading to the escape route, maybe you could-"

The guard charged at you growling animalistically, hands outstretched towards your throat.

His movements were sluggish, fortunately easy to dodge and still enough time to smash your hand down onto the keyboard. Unlocking every door on the floor in the process. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake. You dashed out of the room, and ran like a maniac. The guards eyes weren't normal. Cloudy, dull irises combined with lethargic movement like... a corpse.

That could only mean one Scp.

As if on cue, more reanimated corpses appeared in door frames and corridors and tried to attack you, but you were able to evade everything until now. You were struggling to breath properly even though you just started running. Had your constitution gone that bad? A zombie jumped at you, dodging was impossible because of exhaustion. You fell and rolled away into the nearest room, knocking over a chair in the process. With your last remaining energy, you squeezed yourself into a small hole under the desk.

Shuffling footsteps and ragged breathing were the only response. You sat there in complete silence. Only your panting gave away your presence. You covered your mouth with both hands to silence yourself.

Why weren't they searching for you?!
Their breathing continued but they didn't make a move towards you.

They couldn't be dumb enough to think you escaped, could they?
You waited some more.

Still no sign of them trying to look for you. A big grin formed on your face. They were really dumb enough to think you escaped! If you waited a little bit longer, they would surely loose interest and scram! You relaxed slightly.

Another pair of footsteps reached your ears.
"Greetings", a calm voice introduced itself.

Cold shivers ran up and down your spine and your fear came back doubled. There was the Scp responsible for all this madness:
Scp 049 the plague doctor. And it would definitely not be fooled.

"There is no need to hide, I am here to help.", it announced, with that completely calm tone. You shivered out of raw fear, both hands covering your mouth to silence your rapid breathing. This was awful. You couldn't do anything. It was all up to 049 if it would find you.

"I can hear you breathing", 049 said.

Oh you were so sure he did. If not in a life or death situation, you would even have described its voice as soothing. Right how it reminded you of a predator calming its prey before striking. Its footsteps stopped. As if on cue, the zombies remained silent as well. You held your breath.

"There you are", the calm voice said, and 049 reached your vision.
As soon as you heard those words, you darted out of your hideout, making a beeline for the door. The zombies caught you before you could even take two steps out of the frame.
You screamed, kicking and punching at everything that dared to touch you, but they overpowered you easily, there were just too many.

They kept a firm hold on you, fixating you in a sitting position. 049 had watched everything as if documenting an experiment. Finally it made its way towards you. Your eyes widened. You knew you had the ring, it made you invincible. But would it really save you?

It stood in front of you.
Your face was stuck in a terrified expression. Body shaking involuntarily. After all, 049 did the unbelievable as well, killing people by just touching them. You had never seen a report on the effect of 049's lethal touch on somebody wearing the jaded ring.

049 raised its hand towards your head.
"You- you want to get out, don't you?", you croaked, voice cracking midway.
"I can help you, I have the keycard and knowledge!", you squeaked, voice cracking midway. Not caring a damn about the consequences. Fear showed the worst of oneself. If surviving meant betraying your kind, so be it.

Its hand didn't stop reaching for your forehead, 049 didn't react to your offer in the slightest.

That's it. Your life would end here. At the young age of (y/a). Images of all kind flashed before your eyes. You had come so far, only to loose it all.

Scp 049's gloved hand almost gently touched your forehead.