Chapter 16

You couldn't believe your luck. This changed EVERYTHING.

You tried holding yourself back from storming through the door right away, instead waiting until the right timing arrived. Rash actions would lead to a worse situation than now. There was the possibility that somebody was stationed at your cell or if you had really bad luck, a person could enter just as you were making your move.

But after you felt yourself growing more and more anxious over waiting it out, walking in circles for the millionth time, you couldn't take the suspense anymore. There was no indicator for how much time had passed, all you knew was that you couldn't contain yourself anymore and jumped to action immediately.

You pressed your ear against the gate to the outside world, and listened for anything.
As you were sure that you weren't hearing anything, you took out your prized ticket to freedom. With a soft swivelling noise, the door slid open. Small glances to the left and right and the coast was clear.

What exactly was your plan? You weren't sure. Going for a quick walk and returning shortly after to not raise any suspicion sounded nice. Anywhere away from that makeshift prison for now would suffice.

You trotted through the familiar halls. It wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes outside to calm down. All this restless back and forth pacing in that small chamber of yours would be going to make you insane. Walking was supposed to ease your soul, but that kind was just driving you mad. This quick stroll felt nice.

And disrespecting the scientists orders was another reason making you feel better. You walked by some doors, carefully avoiding windows. Maybe visit a certain someone...

"We should have killed her right on the spot."

You froze instantly. The voices were coming from right behind you, slowly inching closer. Your eyes frantically searched for a hideout. Hopefully that door to your right was unoccupied.

"I told you we are going to keep her. She is useful for now. Let's see how close she and that Scp actually are. That bond could make it compliant", an older voice said.
You dived right through the door as it opened via your key card.

The first voice, obviously a man, sneered. Footsteps were coming closer.
To your luck, the room was currently empty. Judging by all the documents laying around, another scientist was claiming this office as theirs for now. Let's just hope not the ones you were listening to.

"If she tries to escape, you have my permission to kill her."
A chill ran down your spine instinctively. Who were they talking about?

"And what if she doesn't cooperate?", he hissed.

"There are certain... methods... to force her if that problem does arise. Still we are only speaking hypothetically, if what Dr. Sherman concluded is indeed true. If not, then she can still be terminated."

They were talking about you. You pressed your hand against your mouth to silence your hitched breathing.

A short period of silence followed.

"Alright."

Seemingly satisfied, they started to converse about another topic light heartedly. They passed your door. Your heart thumped so loud against your chest that you were almost sure they could hear it. Their conversation was steering towards a different subject, but your ears rehearsed their previous words over and over.

They were going to use you against 049.

They were not going to let you leave after all this was over. Never. They lied. You would NEVER leave this place ever. They would kill to secure their secrets. The rumours about some of the D-class being held captive simply because they were witnesses were true. This facility had no remorse. They would kill you if you didn't cooperate or their perverted experiments didn't succeed.

Or if they caught you now! You would only leave this place dead IF at all.

Closing your eyes, you desperately wished for this all to be a nightmare. You rubbed your temples, already feeling panic starting to surface.

Calm down.
Calm down.
Breath in.
Breath out.

You could just... go back to your room and think everything over. Come up with a plan.

The door to the room slid open.
"Yes I got it, I'll be up in a few hours." The person laughed and mockingly winked goodbye. The gate slid shut and the scientist turned around.

Noticing you.

You stared at the woman like a deer caught in headlights, desperately wishing to just disappear. She didn't utter another word and instantly reached for her pocket. Before she could even reveal whatever she wanted to, you had already tackled her to the ground, her head hitting the floor hard upon impact. You pressed your hand against her mouth to silence any noise. Which proved unnecessary, since you had knocked her out cold.

You jumped away from her unconscious form.
"Oh god I am committed now!", you freaked out, tugging at your hair. She had seen you and would immediately tell the others once she awoke. You paced back and forth in that small room. There was only one way now. If they caught you, they would kill you. You had to get out. The clock was ticking.

Your foot bumped against an object on the ground. It was a helmet the woman had hold instead of wearing it. If she had, this scenario could have played out a whole lot differently, most possibly anything but in your favour. You inspected the helmet closer, happy to steer your thoughts away from your fate.

Wasn't she a scientist? You were pretty sure of that. Then why was she wearing half the uniform of the MTF? Perhaps...They were low on staff.

Of course! All the MTF units were out against the Scps. Scientists were scantily taking care of some of the work the units usually carried out. A plan formed in your head.

You put on some of her clothes. The heavy vest, placing itself as a burden around your shoulders, making you wonder what material it was made of. Placing the pearly white lab coat above it. And finally donning the helmet on. You gave yourself a quick glance in the mirror. Clothe wise you passed exceptionally well as a scientist or whatever this mix between the MTF units was called now. The helmet did well in hiding your face, even though it covered your face partially. A spark of new found hope glinted in your eyes.

After taking care of the remaining mess, you snuck out and continued wandering the halls as quiet as a mouse. The woman had been propped up on her workplace, looking like she fell asleep on the job peacefully. You left the area occupied with rooms full of people and strolled further towards the containment tract.

Before you reached the containment area however, footsteps echoed down the corridor. Your whole body tensed. No, calm down. You straightened your back and marched forward at an evenly pace, praying for your disguise to work.

Not looking up, just giving a simple nod, you acknowledged the other persons presence. Cold sweat formed on your forehead. Boots entered your restricted field of vision, and vanished. Assumedly having nodded back, you parted ways.

You let out a shaky breath, flexing your fingers to remove the built up agitation. Excitement bubbled up to the surface from having come this far. You increased your speed having arrived at the containment area. No more people crossed your path, making it easy to reach your destination. Finally you stood before your objective.

You took a deep breath, glancing left and right for the last time and used the key card. A small part of you still believed it couldn't be that easy. Wasn't it weird that no guards were stationed at the containment area? Why didn't you encounter more people?

You silenced your burning questions with a simple low-on-staff answer. Procrastinating any longer was a waste of time. Don't talk, act. The key card opened the door flawlessly.

You entered.