Chapter 13

Silence engulfed the two of you after the mask had left. It was beautiful silence. The kind of silence that was mutual. 049 held you close. You nuzzled into his embrace savouring every moment of the closeness and comfortable feeling warming up your chest. Eyes closed, completely at peace.

"He is gone now.", 049 murmured. His silky voice was right next to your ear, sending a pleasant prickling sensation down your spine.

"Right...", you murmured hugging him closer. You felt a lot better now, having full control over your body again.

"We need to get going." He repeated urgently, breaking the hug, but still holding you close. Reluctantly you opened your eyes, hands resting against his chest now.

The urgency in which he spoke, made your heart sting. Did he want to leave that badly? Oh what were you thinking, of course he did. He had been locked up in this facility against his will for quite some time. What made your heart ache, was the thought of leaving. Leaving meant going your separating ways.

The mask had said it himself that you two were close to the exit now. And you knew that as well of course. As soon as you both would exit this building, there was nothing keeping you two together. The deal that had been intertwined your paths would be fulfilled. That thought had been floating around your head for a while now, but had always been pushed back. There was still time, you had reassured yourself. But now there wasn't a lot left.

"Are you really going to believe what that dangerous entity said?", you asked quietly.

"He likes to expand the truth, but he is no liar. We should take his word serious."

He squeezed your arm and then let go of you. You missed the warmth of his body already as he left through the door.

"Where to?", 049 asked as soon as you caught up to him. Entering business mode again. You sighed.

"It's not far from here. This way I guess.", you answered truthfully, but reluctantly.

"That does not sound very convincing." He chuckled and looked at you.

You turned away. You knew your way around here. The exit was very close.
Modern art pictures had been hanging on the wall before, now laying broken on the floor. White, sterile walls turned into a more welcoming yellowish colour. Especially that small plant next to the wall was a dead give away to where you were. It was running gag between employees that this thing was an Scp itself since nobody ever watered it, and the little weed still continued to flourish in these unhealthy surroundings.

This was the right way. Just a few more turns... Around the corner... Passing the plant, which earned an amused grin from you because it was astonishingly still unharmed. And then...

Then...

Then what?

Your heart stung again. Then what.
The deal would be fulfilled once you exited the facility. You and 049 would split paths. The deal was what kept you two together. You would leave this damned place. You should be happy about this. Leaving this hellhole was all you ever wanted. Then why did thinking about all this... hurt?

"Is everything alright?"

049's voice snapped you out of your daze. You would definitely miss his smooth voice.
"Yeah.", you smiled, but it didn't reach your face. He knew something was up, but had the curtesy not to ask. He waited as if to inquire you to continue, but you remained silent. As he reached out to touch your arm in a comforting gesture, you sped ahead taking the lead. You didn't make it far, because then there it was.

The last corner.

Taking it would bring you to the ridiculously large reception area and the long awaited exit. Your feet stopped, acting before you could process your torn apart thoughts.
Why didn't you choose the wrong path to further prolong your dawning goodbye? Or simply pretend to not know the way? Why were you even asking these questions, you already knew the answer.
You couldn't do this to him.

You heard 049 stepping next to you.
"There is something bothering you.", he said knowingly.
The incredible softness in his voice touched something deep inside you. And suddenly it was incredibly hard to look at him. Looking up in general. His fingers tenderly brushed a few loose strands of hair away.

"It’s just that...", you mumbled trailing off fidgeting with your hands. His alluring dark eyes looked straight into yours. Without ever even seeing his face, you could still always feel the genuine concern for you radiating off of him. It made you all fuzzy inside just thinking about it.

"Since were so close to leaving...” Subconsciously your hand raised itself to grasp his, but you hesitated. “I just want you to know that...”

He hummed encouraging you to continue.

“I really...”

A few second passed.
You had him all to yourself, his attention was fully directed towards you.

More seconds passed
Still holding eye contact, you felt your legs beginning to melt at the tenderness inside his gaze.

More time passed.
You looked away shyly. You didn't have the courage to finish that sentence. Your hand had awkwardly remained mid air, so you abandoned your move, playing with the hem of shirt.

He broke the silence. "The exit is up ahead, is it not?", he said quietly. You looked him straight in the eyes, a sad expression confirming his assumption. His features softened and his hand raised to cup your cheek affectionately.

"STEP ASIDE FROM THAT STAFF MEMBER, SCP 049. WE GOT YOU SURROUNDED AND ARE READY TO SHOT." A voice boomed through the floor.
Both of you flinched closer together instinctively.

Foot shuffling disturbed the comforting peace and the sound of guns being pulled out and positioned. Soldiers clad in familiar black and white surrounded the two of you, guns pointed at 049. Their riffles following every movement menacingly.

The MTF units.
The mask didn't talk shit.

Your body acted on its own.

"Stop!", you screamed and ran in front of 049, shielding him protectively. Your arms shot upwards to signalise no threat coming from you.

Gunshots.

At least three.

Your ears rang. But no pain. You definitely knew how being shot felt after all. Was it just a warning shot or did they miss?

"DON'T!", you screamed again. They remained stiff this time, not acting again. You relaxed slightly.

"(Y/n)...", 049 muttered from behind you. There was something about his tone that was alarming you. Your heart dropped. You spun around.

His hand was pressed against his side.