Chapter 14

No.
Nonononono.
This can't be happening.

"Don't you dare die on me!", you shrieked. He swayed while taking a step backwards. Seeing him lacking his usual graze spoke more than words. He clutched his side and something fell to the ground but all you saw was him stumbling to regain his balance.  Just as he was about to fall, you somehow managed to catch him. Immediately dropping to your knees and continuing to slowly descend to the floor.

The MTF units sucked in a breath, but didn't step in. Their guns were still directed towards you two. If they moved now, they would surely alarm the Scp, resulting in you being killed first. So they waited.

You were too focused on 049 to even notice them anymore. All that mattered was him now. Tears already dwelled and fell as soon as you got a look at his face. His hand brushed against your cheek immediately in a feeble attempt to wipe away the drops.

"(Y/n)..."
Oh, his voice sounded so weak and soft. Your heart shattered into a million pieces.

"I'm here, I'm here.", you whispered, voice strangled.

After everything you two went through, this was how it would end? After finally becoming close, leaving that initial distrust and hostility behind, this was it? You had never actually thought about what would happen after you two had escaped the facility.

You didn't want to think about it, simply pushed it back into a corner far, far away to stay. It felt weird to think about not having him around anymore. Something inside you ached at the concept.

It was safe to say that you had grown accustomed to him. Heck, appreciating his presence. Valuing it. He had been there when nobody else was. Tending your wounds, comforting you, talking to you, simply being there. There was so much he had done for you he probably wasn't even aware of.

Before you knew it, all these unspoken words spilled out of your mouth. "I can't loose you! After everything we have gone through? You have always been there for me whenever I needed you! I am so terribly sorry! This is all my fault. If I hadn't postponed our leave...  I am so incredibly selfish for wanting more time with you! I just... the thought of you not being there anymore..." you broke down sobbing. "I... I really like you a lot!", you cried between tears, right as another sob burst through your lips, shaking your whole body violently.

You pressed your face into his shoulder. Tears staining the fabric. You could hear his heart beating, but it did not calm you down in the slightest. It felt like you were listening to a timer running out.

"(Y/n).", he said again, firmer this time. The sudden strength made you jolt even though it was barely louder than normal speaking volume.

You snivelled lifting your head, vision all blurry with tears hugging him tighter.
"Yes?"

Dark eyes locked with your own teary ones. His hand wandered its way up your waist. You grasped it tightly against your cheek, relishing the warmth it still had.  He sighed and used his other hand to give another weak attempt to wipe away your never ending tears.

"Relax it's just a tranquilizer."

Your mind blanked.
"Oh."

With a vague gesture of his unoccupied hand, he pointed towards two red darts laying next to you he had pulled out immediately. The substance had entered his system nevertheless.

Relief and never ending happiness washed over you in a whirlwind of emotions. New tears formed, this time of joy. You made a happy noise and pulled him into a bone crushing hug. "I thought I lost you!", you cried, burying your face into the crook of his neck.

049 wriggled weakly in your tight embrace, and suddenly you were aware of the severity of a tranquilizer. His hand slid towards your waist again. You pulled back about to ask him what you should do, but he was faster.

"You are hit too."

Your mind blanked once more. All you could do was follow his gaze towards a small red dart stuck in your waist, thankfully not your injured side. Now that you stood motionless and didn't apprehend him unknowingly, he could finally pull it out with his last remaining strength. It stung lightly.

"Oh."

And with that, you were out cold.