Chapter 4

Scp 049 took the lead, arms neatly folded behind its back. Its subordinates spread out and vanished out of your sight, two remaining close by your side. A sickly sweet scent tickled your nose challenging you to look at the reanimated corpses flanking you.

At least they looked kind of normal if you ignored their behaviour. Furthermore, the reports said they were extremely hostile attacking every human in range, so why were they "friendly" now? Was Scp 049 able to control them fully?

Your gaze shifted to 049. Completely clad in black, its silvery plague doctor mask sticking out of its otherwise black appearance. The Scp responsible for all these horrific creatures and almost for your own death.

And you were helping it escape.

Speaking of which...

"We-", your voice sounded incredibly hoarse. You hoped it didn't notice your squeaky first attempt. After clearing your throat you tried again, this time more confident.
"We need to take a left."

The Scp hummed in response, a nice soothing noise in contrast to your guards rattling breathing mixed with your own. Your group passed the corner you were supposed to turn to. Confusion overtook your face. You pondered about repeating your sentence but stopped dead in tracks when you saw it.

When you saw the person.

The man laid on the floor covered in his own pool of blood, slowly bleeding to death. Empty eyes looked at the ceiling, he gave up a long time ago to cry out for help.
You trembled. That could have been you. Shot and left to die. You shook the feeling of wanting to run away off and rushed to the person's side.

"A..." Are you alright? Was the first thing you could think of, but he obviously wasn't. Next try. "Where does it hurt?", you asked in a soft voice, surprising yourself with the sudden courage.

His eyes searched for the person that the voice belonged to. As soon as he saw you, his body relaxed and he opened his mouth, but nothing other than a croak and blood escaped his lips. You ripped a piece of fabric off of his already torn clothes and pressed it on the wound. He coughed and winced in pain. The material was quickly soaked in red fluid. What else could you do? Come on think, there has to be something!

Someone gently pushed your hands away.
"Anemia.", 049 stated.

"Help him, aren't you a doctor?", you yelled desperately.

"He already lost too much blood. His body can not suffice enough oxygen, damaging internal organs in the process. He will suffocate slowly. All I can do is end his suffering."

"But...", you didn't know what to reply. You could only watch as it reached out for the poor man's forehead to use its lethal touch. "Everything will be better now.", the Scp murmured reassuringly.

You couldn't watch the scene and turned your head away. 049 was a doctor after all, and knew more than you. At least it sounded like that as it stated the wounded's condition. Was there really no other way than euthanasia?

A familiar scent reached your nose. The name was on the tip of your tongue, but you just couldn't grasp it, so you took another sniff. "Lavender.", the Scp explained and spun a small branch between index finger and thumb. You took the herb from its hand. What a nice scent.

049 slit the dead persons torso open with a scalpel.

"What the HELL?! Stop that!", you shrieked horrified. 049 already began dissecting the dead guy. Blood stained its gloves slightly. Most of it had already poured out.

"I thought you wanted to stop his pain!"
The blood.
It didn't bother you a few seconds ago, but now... the whole scene creeped you out. A distant image from the 096 incident appeared in your head.

Dead people everywhere.
Red crimson liquid.
So much blood.

You shuffled backwards until your back hit the wall and quickly pulled your legs to your chest.

Clouded empty eyes.
Starring into nothing.
Face contorted into masks of pain and terror.

You hugged yourself tightly. Footsteps approached your hunched over form.
"Your helper instincts nullified your fear of blood. You really are a strange individual.", 049 said, crouching down to you.

"You're... horrible...!", you whispered.
A sad chuckle escaped its mouth.
"I may be. I cure all these people even though nobody appreciates my hard work for humanity. Not everyone understands the importance of exterminating the great pestilence. Including you." The Scp sounded sorrowful.

"But I am not the only one carrying such a burden. Aren't your fellow scientists the same?
Locking up lifeforms they do not comprehend, using them as test subjects and justifying themselves by declaring these newly named Scp's non-human."

You lifted your head to look at the Scp.
"I guess that lies in the eye of the beholder." , 049 said softly.

"They don't kill in contrast to you.", you whispered.

"Did you forget the humans they use for science?"

Humans? Oh. It meant the D-class. Death sentenced criminals that were transferred to the Scp facility.
"But they are proven death sentence anyway...", your voice faltered.

These people were used without asking them for permission. Experimenting on unknown creatures was one thing, but experimenting on your own kind was just messed up. Furthermore there were rumours that people who were witnesses in Scp incidents were abducted and classified as D-classes as well.

"So a person declared "dead" is less of a human being?"

You didn't know what to respond. Silence.

"I am not saying that all individuals kept in this facility are innocent, but not every monster is locked up."

He stood up and resumed his work. Leaving you alone with your wild thoughts about how messed up some things here where.

The D-class being treated as if they were worth nothing just to gather data. You would definitely not want to switch places with them. And if the rumours about witnesses being abducted turned out to be true? That would just be messed up. Extremely messed up.

Some Scp's were even human. Did they have a life before coming to this facility? Family? You looked over to the plague doctor. How was Scp 049's life like before being captured?

All these confusing and terrifying thoughts gave you a headache. You buried your face in your arms.