Chapter 5

The newest member of your weird troop had joined the scouting staff. You watched him disappear down the hall. There was still a lot on your mind, this latest creation ranking pretty high right after the plague doctors little speech.

Nevertheless one of your top priorities now was to upgrade your keycard. It was only level 4. It would suffice for now, but once you reached the exit, you would need one of the highest authority. That's why you were paying Scp 914, the clockwork machine, a quick visit.

It looked as complicated as ever as you entered its chamber. Scp 049 stepped closer to take a look at the machinery. You smiled weakly at the sight. Your constitution had worsened over time, especially since you hadn't gotten a chance to rest after the gunshot. You were incredibly tired.

But that wasn't important right now. You took out your keycard hesitantly. If this failed, you had to go search for a new one. You had read some reports about Scp 914 and knew that the rough setting would mostly convert items to decal. So you set the switch to 1:1 to play it safe. Out came a... playing card? You looked at it dumbfoundedly.

Scp 049 came over to watch you repeat the process. Its presence made you uneasy but to your surprise, it didn't freak you out as much as it did before. The next setting you tried out was Fine. Out came a level 2 keycard. A determined expression settled on your face. This was it.

"Interesting... this machine gives you an upgrade of the item you put in?", it asked. You flinched at its proximity, clutching your ring finger with the jaded ring on. The object calmed you down.

"Well... yes and no. It's not always an upgrade. Sometimes it can be something entirely different or just garbage." You used the same settings and waited eagerly for the outcome. The keycard was one level higher. Fuelled by accomplishment, you continued talking while levelling your keycard up one at a time.

"For example there have been experiments conducted on steel. Out came a bunch of screws. Somebody put in a wristwatch on coarse, and got it back completely disassembled."

Your words had made the Scp curious.
"Have there ever been reports about... biological experiments?"

You pondered for a few seconds, taking the new keycard out and putting it back into the input chamber. "They experimented on mice I believe. They tested a white one on 1:1, a brown one was the result. And they put in a chimp on the rough setting. Out came a mutilated corpse." You sneered at the thought of these poor animals being mistreated.

"The weirdest thing that happened though, was when they put in a human. He was of Caucasian ethnicity and came out as a male Hispanic with almost the same height and weight but completely disoriented."

It listened intently. After finally getting your master keycard, you flopped down on a swivel chair you had just noticed, feeling accomplished. "The outcome can't be predicted, so simply experimenting has been the go to about this thing. ", you ended, thankful for a few minutes of sitting down.

Seemingly encouraged by your words, the plague doctor turned towards the machine. You watched the Scp experiment for a while. It strangely felt like old times when you were allowed to protocol experiments sometimes or be a third party watcher. It didn't happen often though anymore.

After getting bored of using office stuff laying around, it tried using a reanimated corpse. The result was nothing noticeable, probably an ethnicity change just like the alredy conducted experiment, but not as drastic as to see a skin colour change. Your eyes opened slower every time you pried them open again. Somewhere in between you must had dozen off.

Seemingly satisfied with the results, the plague doctor shifted its attention back to you. "We should find a place to rest."

You jerked awake, jumping onto your feet.
"There's still a lot to walk.", you protested. Sleeping while Scp 049 was around? Out of the question. Who knew what it would do while you were out.

"Tomorrow is another day. You are tired and need to rest. In this state you are only a hindrance.", it reasoned. You grimaced but didn't find a good argument against its. You were incredibly tired. Then the Scp added quieter, speaking to itself rather than to you directly. "And I need to write down the results I gathered."

--

Finding a proper place wasn't hard. The offices in this floor were huge and had doors so you didn't need to sleep in the open. The plague doctor threw a pillow towards you that you weren't able to catch in time. Sleep was indeed needed.

You settled on the floor in the corner, cautious about having a good view at Scp 049. It took a seat at the desk and started writing. The scraping of the pen against paper was oddly satisfying. You observed it for a while, watching every movement it did. Your eyelids grew heavy against your will. The Scp hummed a tune while flipping a page. You liked that sound. It was calming.

There wasn't much more needed to make you drift off to sleep.

--

You were running. Scp 096 was close. Its scream echoed throughout the building. Slashed open corpses extended their hands towards you, their faces displaying agony. One of them succeeded making you trip. 096's stomps came closer and...

...You jolted awake to someone gently shaking your shoulder. You blinked heavily to get the last remaining instances of the nightmare out of your brain, still panting heavily. So much for refreshing sleep. You felt worse than before.

The first thing you noticed was a white lab coat that had been draped over you while you were asleep. The second thing was Scp 049 right in front of you.

"We need to leave.", it said.

"What happened?", you asked drowsily, but still wary of the sudden change of tone.

"Something or someone let cured ones disappear."

"Who?" You were suddenly wide awake.

"I would rather not find out."