Chapter 7

Sleep welcomed you with wide open arms. During the whole time the containment breach happened you didn't have any time to rest. Nightmares plagued your dreams, but luckily this one wasn't as bad as the ones before. Shifting slightly to access a more comfortable position, you tried to roll over, but there was nothing to roll on. Your eyes practically burst open.

The face of a reanimated corpse carrying you bombarded your peripheral vision. Too much to handle right now. You screamed.
It was more out of surprise than actual fear.

049 rushed into your field of vision.
"Are you still feeling pain?", it asked with a hint of... you weren't sure exactly.

Ok, what happened while you fainted.
"Ah! No I'm fine. Well not really..." You frowned. Something was trying to resurface, but as soon as you tried to grasp the memory, it went out of your reach. Wait, you had fainted... What happened? All you could remember was... running? From something...

You tried remembering harder, but all you got in return was a headache. You growled, growing frustrated. "Doesn't matter! How could you let this THING carry me?!", your voice came out hoarse despite you wanting to scream your words.

"It is a him actually.", 049 corrected.

You sighed, deeply annoyed. "Want to enlighten me who else is male here so I can enunciate myself correctly?"

"I thought that was obvious due to the urge to document everything in this facility."

To your defence, the thought already crossed your mind, but since 049 was addressed as an "it" in countless reports you had thrown that theory away.

"What are you doing?", it asked.
"What does it look like? I'm trying to get up.", you said and struggled out of the reanimated corpses hold, grimacing at the sharp tingling sensation of pain. It shot as waves through your body, starting from your side to every nerve fiber.

"Stop that.", it commanded. "You are not fully healed in the slightest."
You ignored his orders.

"Would you prefer me carrying you instead, since you do not seem fond of cured ones?"

"No! I would prefer no one carrying me!", you squeaked and continued to wiggle out. Ow, moving hurt.

"You will fall.", the plague doctor warned.

"What are you, my mom? I know what I can do.", you shot back and finally escaped the cold grasp.

Just as your feet touched the ground, your legs buckled just as it had predicted. Pain rushed through every part of your body, making it impossible to stand, let alone walk.

049 had already anticipated the outcome and professionally scooped you up in its arms. "No, I am your doctor. Next time listen to what i say."

You grumbled something incoherent and looked the other way. Being carried by that dead person seemed way more appealing than this embarrassment.

"No walking until I say so.", 049 ordered. "Now that you are finally awake... Care to explain why you did not tell me that you were shot?"

What a brilliant way to ruin the mood instantly. "I was fine on my own, I took care of all that.", you shot back, crossing your arms.

"You did not even properly clean the wound. Did you know that most people die of an infection rather than the actual wound itself?"

"Literally did not have time for that, because at that time I had other important things to attend to. Like trying not to get ripped into shreds!"

"You could have ended just like that person you tried to save before. Thank your body for fainting before you could force yourself to walk any further towards your death."