Chapter 9

"That is enough distance for now.", 049 said. You were as pale as the sterile walls from walking. You figured it wouldn't make that much of a difference between wearing the ring or not. Turns out you HEAVILY underestimated its abilities. 049 practically had to carry you towards the nearest table. He didn't look that strong but still managed to heave you up the table easily.

"I... I don't feel so good.", you sputtered out.

"I can see that as clear as day.", he said sympathetically. "You should have said something sooner..." His hand touched your forehead. How did he want to test your temperature with gloves on?

"I would like to have a look at your injury."

"Uh, sure.", you replied resting your head against the wall.

He made a move but had a change of mind before taking action.

"Would you please lift your shirt?"

You did as you were told, risking a glance at the injury. No blood had seeped through. The bandage was a pearly white colour. "May I?", 049 asked, hands hovering over the bandage. You nodded, confused in a positive way about the ongoing questions for reassurance.

In a matter of seconds he began to unfasten the bandage. His arms closed around your waist whenever he switched the gauze between his hands. His attention was entirely on the task. In contrast to you who was glancing around awkwardly since he had to stand in between your legs to reach the wound. For the first time you were glad that no one else except you two were here and alive.

Watching somebody exactly knowing what to do was fascinating. Plague obsession or not, he was still a highly capable doctor.

"I advice you not to look now."
049 had reached the last layer, stopping before removing it. The last part was slightly drenched in blood. The amount of it wasn't much. Nevertheless, you didn't need to test your endurance. You took the time to study 049 in the meantime.

Nothing much had changed about his appearance. The same plague doctor uniform as always. Still, there was something off about him, even though you couldn't see it with the bare eye. He had been overly solicitous of you and less straight forward today. That was unlike of what you were used to.

The last wrapping lifted. Air against the finally exposed flesh felt weird after all this time. You were prepared but still flinched as his handly gently came in contact with your skin.

"Sorry", he muttered. His glove fabric felt a bit stiff but what was to be expected of leather. Fingers brushed over the sensitive skin leaving a pleasant trail of tingling sensations, a welcoming alternative to the painful throb. You closed your eyes, relaxing under the feeling. He always smelled so nice of lavender...

"I apologize."
The words were barely above a whisper. So faint that you had almost believed you had imagined them.

"No need to apologize for my jumpiness.", you waved off and opened your eyes only to stop dead in tracks as you got a look at him.

Sadness filled 049's eyes as he gazed down at your injury. The sight surprised you. He was always so in control of his emtions, always radiating this calm aura. Seeing him like this, his emotions getting the better of him, was a rare moment and you almost felt out of place.

"You already know the story. This was caused by an MTF soldier way before I met you. Wrong place wrong time, an accident on their side.", you reassured.

A composed look quickly replaced the previous expression. All traces of that short vulnerable moment of him vanished. He remained silent and started to wrap a new bandage around your torso.