Chapter 6

049 stayed deadly silent as you both left the area. You were creeped out by the deafening silence accompanying you with every step. The calm before the storm. You had figured that there could only be an Scp responsible for letting these "cured ones" disappear. What else could simply stop a being from existing other than an anomaly itself?

Not even the Scp's were safe from each other. You thought they would simply ignore each other since they were the same kind with the same goal. But in reality, no. They weren't the same kind.They may be classified as the same, but every one of them was as different as day and night. The only thing that connected them was the hate of being locked up.

"Another.", 049 muttered to itself.

"Any information about its looks or powers?", you chimed in. The fear of this new threat had lessened your fear of the plague doctor. For the moment. In the end, both of you just wanted to escape.

Keeping up with these paranormal beings was almost impossible in a fight, but you could at least share the knowledge you gathered throughout your highly under paid job.
As you were applying, breakouts were only said to be of minor occurrence and handled by the staff immediately without any deaths. Of course that was mentioned in the small print.

Well that proofed to be a huge ass lie.
Huh. Why did you decide to remain in this life threatening job again?

"It is able to make cured ones disappear.", 049 said.

Making things disappear? A lot of Scp's had powers similiar to that...

"I guess we are safer in corridors that are not connected with other ones to prevent getting ambushed.", Scp 049 concluded.

What the Scp said sounded logical. But there was still a growing suspicion that you committed a fatal mistake. You frowned. "I'm not so sure about that, I just want to get away from here as soon as possible."
049 hummed in response.

--

"These walls are suffocating me.", you mumbled. You had been walking for a while, your constitution worsening. It was as if you were hiking in the highest place of a mountain. Every inhale of air was becoming more and more difficult.

"Your breathing is becoming quite unusual for a person in your shape. Is there something affecting your health negatively?", 049 asked.

You furrowed your brows. Affecting your health negatively? The ring took care of all that stuff, so no. What confused you more was its tone.
Did it... care?
No, it was probably bothered that you slowed everyone down.

"I'm just... on edge.", you replied.

Scp 049 actually pondered about your statement. "The incidents are occurring far away, there is no need to worry right now."

Was that an attempt to calm you down? The churning in your stomach certainly didn't stop. "If the Scp is who I think it is, we will not be save anywhere."

You noticed it stiffening at the word Scp.
"I... do not comprehend what you are implying.", 049 said.

As you were thinking heavily, your eyes began to focus on a small dot on the wall subconsciously. "There is this one specimen able to use pocket dimensions to let its victims disappear without a trace except an orange-brown coloured substance."

Your companion seemed deep in thoughts. "From what I have gathered throughout your words is that it would only affect us if it would be in our reach. There are a lot of walls between us and the anomaly."

Your eyes widened at what you saw. The dot grew.
"You don't understand, it can phase through walls!"

The circle on the wall grew bigger and bigger, destroying the material as if it was nothing. A strange brownish substance dripped out of the corroded wall. Then a hand reached through the solid mass, the body soon followed. Everything about this creature was covered in that brownish liquid and slowly rotting away. A big grin formed on it's deformed face.

Scp 106 had arrived.

049 yanked you away seconds before a portal appeared under your feet.
"Run."

You stumbled after your ally, taking a quick glance behind you. Scp 106 watched you two, then fell through the ground, vanishing out of your sight.

Since when have you become so unsporty?! You were just running for a minute and already dying because of side stitches. Moreover, how was 049 able to look like it was just going for walk while running away from a life threatening situation?!

106's corrosive substance dripped from the ceiling, announcing its following appearance. The three remaining reanimated corpses lunged at the Scp. They would win some time for you, but that's about it. The ring would be able to make you survive in 106's pocket dimensions, but would it be able to keep you fed and hydrated?

Suddenly, something made click inside your head.
"The... emergency protocol!"

"What are you implying?", came the direct answer.

"We can capture 106 via the emergency protocol!", you coughed, barely able to continue this any longer. With your last remaining strength, you led the way.

Your lungs were about to collapse as you came to an abrupt halt in front of your destination. You managed to retrieve the keycard out of your pocket with shaky hands, but missed the touchpad. 049 nudged your arm into the right direction and immediately entered once the door opened.

Panting heavily, you began to follow it inside, still trying to get oxygen into your exhausted, trembling body. The Scp certainly seemed to manage on its own and inspected the different buttons and inscriptions, so you concentrated on recovery.

Inhale and then exhale.
Good. The stinging pain in your chest felt survivable now. You stumbled forward almost falling over your own feet, and turned the security camera screen on.

It was hard to make out what exactly was shown, since the screen was pixelated in black and white. Was it that difficult to get HD observation cameras?
Something moved in the bottom right corner. Better act fast.

"This one.", you instructed, index finger hovering over the button. The voice of a scientist immediately filled your head and you spoke in unison with her.

"To attract it. A decoy will be placed for 106."

As you pressed the button, a nasty crunch echoed through the walls. Milliseconds later screams followed. Shocked, you whipped your head to the camera screen.

The unrecognisable dot fell over and revealed itself. Crying and screaming in pain at the top of his lungs, a human clutched his broken appendage.
That scream wasn't just a scream of hurt when somebody fell and scraped their knee.
This was a scream of absolute terror, a high pitched animalistic screech of fear, of a person that knew of their impending fate. You staggered back, tears pricked at the corners of your eyes. Desperately trying to gasp for air, terrified of what you had done.

"I...I-...!"
Black dots framed your vision. Your breathing quickened rapidly. They never said anything about a human decoy!

049 grabbed your arm. "What next?", it asked.

What have I done?!
Your brain didn't function well enough to speak, but the Scp magically found the right button through your weak gesture.

Air

As soon as 049 let go of your arm, the last thing keeping you balanced left.
The floor swayed under your feet.
You had killed someone.

Air

You fell.
Arms caught you. "Breath slowly and steadily", 049 voice was as calm as ever, but far, far away.

Strange choking noises reached your ears.
Was that you?

The dots continued to multiply and restricted your vision.

More words.

Your body was being moved.

Cold air touched your skin.

Someone patted your cheek repeatedly.

And then, everything went black.