Chapter 19

* unedited *

A Happy Day?

N A N D I N I

For the first time in ages that I woke up, I smiled. Smile was the only thing in my mind, which was filled with happiness and energy for a change. Last night washed away the tiredness I had been feeling all this while. I finally felt as if I was fitting in somewhere, not that I knew everything, but I did know something, and as the proverb goes, something is always better than nothing.

Walking around my house lazily, I relaxed on one of its sofas. I was very comfortable at Zubin's place, but this was what I always craved for- my home. And Manik allowed me to stay back here.

I never really had to worry about it being closed since months because he got it cleaned time to time and not even a single thing was moved from where it originally was, my home was my home and nothing could change it.

Life seemed settling. Mukti was alive! I wasn't still being able to accept that. Ofcourse I was hurt and angry and all of that, but the happiness to have my best friend back was above everything else. Which also reminded me of Zubin. I haven't been able to talk to him since last night, it was as if Mukti and Zubin just disappeared. But even Manik didn't care, because somewhere he still trusted Zubin and he knew his sister was safe with Zubin, just like Zubin didn't check on me because he knew I was safe with Manik. That was the parallels of our life, but the truth.

Stretching my arms and yawning lazily, I tied my hair into some kind of a messy bun before picking up the phone and calling the first person on my mind since I woke up. It was answered within the first three rings with a warm and comforting voice, "hello?"

"Hey Aryamman!" I almost whisper shouted happily. I've missed him over so much happening in the past few days, and I missed the friend I had in him.

"Aah Nandini, you just disappeared last night? But well, I didn't bother to check because I knew you wouldn't be alone, Manik has to be there with you and as much as I hate to admit, he does care about you. So yes, tell me! Mujhe kaise yaad kiya?" He said almost in one breath and I bit my lower lip.

"Well, I was wondering if I could meet you in personal today?" I hoped. I really had to thank him for saving my life in that accident, and this was the best way I could.

"Are you, Nandini Murthy, asking me out for a date?" His voice was loud and happy and I giggled.

"Well, if you want to take it that way, then yes... date, it is. Shall I see you for lunch today?" I asked, my voice trying to match his excitement.

"Oh, sleeping beauty. It's already past lunch time, it's 4!" He reminded and my eyes widened. I was up with Manik till sun rise and I slept late and I was sleeping till now?

"Oh sorry," I was embarrassed clearly. "How about a dinner? Do you have any plans for the evening?"

"Umm no, not really. Evening sounds like a perfect plan! But you can come over to my house, you know? My mother will be there, and it's Diwali, we can have some fun. More than a date, it's going to be something like a night with my family. Hmm?" He asked and my breath got stuck for a moment.

Diwali. My mother.

After last night, I don't think I'd ever be able to see Nyonika Aunty as a mother or a lady or even a human. I'd always see her as a murderer. A murderer who killed Manik and Aryamman's father, and a murderer who tried murdering my best friend.