ch. 4

Chapter Four;;- Guinea Pig

The day was nice, only somewhat cool as the season transitioned from the last days of winter and into the first days of spring. Green was beginning to sprout from the trees and the sun shone down pleasantly.

"Mm, this is the place?" Mirio asked as him and Amajiki stopped outside the restaurant. They gazed up at the swirly red letters that Amajiki had committed to memory. He (Amajiki) had told his friend about a specialty being takoyaki and Mirio obviously immediately suggested they visit.

Amajiki nodded his confirmation to Mirio's question, and they entered the establishment. Mirio chatted away about how difficult their pop quiz in Japanese history was today as they seated themselves at a booth. The booths were comfortable, with a soft leather covering that were carefully cleaned.

It didn't take long for a waitress, young but older than the third years she was waiting on, to come cheerfully waltzing over. She took their orders from the menus that were already at the open table and promised it would be out soon. Even the minimal social interaction already had the introverted Amajiki a little exhausted. He sighed, setting his face onto his palm. He was barely listening to Mirio's nonstop stream of casual chit-chat, but he responded occasionally to let Mirio know to keep going.

The restaurant around them wasn't very busy, since there was only three or four tables that were full, but the waitress that had taken their order seemed to be the only one. She hurried around the floor quickly, jumping between the tables to make sure that all the customers were happy, with full drink cups and food that were up to standards. Her face was getting pale, Amajiki noticed as she came around to their table again to check up on them. Her name tag, which read Saza Tsuki, was askew and her uniform was coming unraveled quickly.

The waitress disappeared into the kitchen, her footsteps blending into the general clatter of pots and pans and sizzling, and some faint arguing could be heard from behind the door. When the voices died down, a familiar looking [hair color]ette popped out from the doors instead of the waitress from before. She had a tray balanced on one hip and a notepad in her other hand.

Her eyebrows furrowed at the notepad, clearly a bit confused before finally looking up and walking towards their booth. She tucked the notepad into the pocket of her black chef's coat, wiping her hands on the black apron tied around her pants. [surname] plastered a smile onto her face, setting the tray onto their table.

"Sorry about the wait, that Tsuki can't seem to figure out when it's time to quit." She paused looking up to meet Amajiki's eyes. "It's nice to see you again, Amajiki-kun," She said, looking back down, removing the plates from the tray and tucking the tray under her armpit. "You brought a friend." Her voice was upbeat.

Mirio looked surprised at the casual interaction. "You two know each other?" He asked simply, careful not to imply something and embarrass Tamaki.

"'Course!" [surname] answered immediately. "Amajiki-kun saved me a week or two back from a villain. We've met a couple times after that, but I'd be lying if I said I expected to see you again," She looked back over to him. "What brings you around here? Besides lunch," she added with a laugh.

"Tamaki mentioned that takoyaki was a specialty here," Mirio replied. Amajiki's face turned pink at Mirio's blunt answer.

[surname], similarly embarrassed, shook her head. "Aha, you misheard me, Amajiki-kun. Takoyaki is my specialty." She scratched her cheek to cover the crimson that spread on her cheeks like wildfire. "You wouldn't have to pay me to make it, either." Her eyes pointed downwards. "I like to cook." She smiled at the floor.

Mirio looked between the two flushed faces and smiled. He enjoyed seeing Amajiki's social circle expand. It was rare to see him make new friends and it when it happened it happened slow, but Mirio was quick to catch on to the friendship that could potentially blossom here.

A moment of silence passed before [surname] shifted awkwardly, bit her lip and took out her phone, opening something up. "Your quirk requires you to eat stuff, right? I googled it," she admitted with some reluctance. She stuck the new contact screen out to Amajiki with only a little bit of timidity in her posture. Amajiki blinked at it for a second, eventually taking it between his hands bashfully. [surname] gives him a wide grin. "I've got a lot of recipes I'd like to try out and you seem like a good guinea pig!"

When he hands the phone back to her, she texts him a quick message so that he had her number too. A shout from the kitchen made her startle, and she went rushing back to go to the kitchen with a hurried apology over her shoulder.

Mirio immediately turned his attention back to Amajiki, taking his food between his chopsticks and shoved a warm bite of food into his mouth. He didn't bother to swallow first before he speaking. "You didn't mention saving someone," he said, raising an eyebrow.

Splotches of red appeared on Amajiki's cheeks, despite having just faded. "It didn't seem worth mentioning." He blew on the takoyaki to cool it down. "You save people all the time, Mirio," he muttered, shoving the entire ball into his mouth in embarrassment.

He laughed at this. "Not as often as you seem to think Tamaki," Mirio chuckled at Amajiki's full, blushing cheeks. He waited for Amajiki to swallow before asking, "Are you gonna let her use you as a guinea pig?"

"I guess," he mumbled almost inaudibly, staring down at his food timidly. He could see the notification from her text on his screen.

Mirio changed the subject, moving from the previous events into a dramatic telling of a story from his own internship, even though he could see Amajiki's slight hope at the possibilities this could bring him.

a/n: mirio is hardcore shipper from day one

this is kinda short but im writing this immediately after finishing my essay.

honestly? the original plan i had for this chapter only got me like 750 words so the whole last scene where tamaki and mirio are chatting was completely on the spot so its shitty, yeah but at least i'll own it?

on another note, i dont have friends so im complete ass at casual, friendly conversation and its sooo obvious lmao