ch. 9

Chapter Nine;;- Morning Run-Ins

It wasn't early by any means, unless you're a normal teenager, which you couldn't consider [name]. Like usual, she was already hard at work for the day, having taken a six A.M. to ten A.M. shift. It was unpleasant to get up for, but now that she was off, it was nice to be awake before the sunrise, enjoying the cool morning as she strolled home.

The weekends weren't ever much of a time to relax. There were no breaks on the train [name] had gotten on. On weekends, she took more shifts or studied harder. She didn't have a whole lot of downtime to enjoy any interests. It sounds awful to an outside observer, but the constant quick pace kept [name] on her toes and better suited to get farther in life. The food industry is fast paced and if you fall behind, you get trampled.

Or, that was what she told herself.

She really didn't mind not having free time, since she didn't really have any hobbies that she wanted to pursue. But, times like these, where you actually get to enjoy a nice walk around the park in the morning really made her wish that she would slow down sometimes.

The sun was warm on her skin, but wasn't too hot. The breeze kept her cool but didn't blow unpleasantly hard. Overall, it was a perfect day to be outside and-- wait, is that Amajiki?

The sight of her friend snapped [name] from her simple awe of the day. All of her attention was now directed at Amajiki. He was sitting on the ground in basketball shorts, a loose sleeveless t-shirt, and sneakers. He looked like he was stretching. His face had a focused look on it, so much so that [name] almost felt guilty for disturbing him like she was about to do.

Walking over to Amajiki (who was currently hunched over, legs spread into a V and his back hunched over so that his arms reached as far as possible), [name] ran a fingertip along the showing line of his spine. A visible shiver crawled across his body and he jumped, straightening up quickly to check behind him.

Obvious relief cross his face when he saw it was [name], but still flushed when he realized this meant someone he knew had caught him working out. "[surname]-san..," he sighed, "you scared me."

She grinned. "Sure did!" Amajiki frowned, displeased, and [name] stuck her tongue out playfully. She looked down at his attire again and the position he was in. "So, you're exercising?" She asked.

Amajiki started standing up. "Y-Yeah. Pretty necessary for hero work and all..."

[name] shrugged and nodded. "That makes sense." Her eyes trailed back down to his shirt, which had a picture of a cartoon cat on it. It was cute, she thought absentmindedly. Amajiki doesn't necessarily have a bad body either, she noticed with a blush. He wasn't very muscular, but he was lean. She met his eyes again, his mostly-neutral face telling her that he hadn't noticed her ogling him. "How long have you been here?"

He pulled his phone out of his pocket. "An hour and a half," Amajiki answered. "I usually come early in the morning so that there's not a lot of people..."

[name] smiled widely and nudged his side with her elbow. "Look how that worked out for you! You got to see me~ That must be a reward for your hard work~" She laughed lightly when she saw his embarrassed and confused face, struggling to think of a response. "Kidding, kidding." There was a pleasant pause. "Stay here. I'll be right back."

With that, [name] dashed off. Amajiki wasn't really sure where, since he didn't really know the area well. He sat back down on the ground and started again on his stretches. They were the mid-workout stretches.

Sure enough to her word, almost 10 minutes later, [name] ran back into view, skidding to a stop beside Amajiki. She huffed and puffed for a second, struggling to catch her breath. Amajiki may be out here working out, but [name] sure didn't. In her hands was a styrofoam box that Amajiki had seen enough times to recognize.

[name] smiled once she had her breath back. "Here!" She handed him the box. "Omelette with spinach and mushroom in it. It's high in protein!" Once he had taken the box, she took a step backwards. "Good luck, Amajiki-kun! Keep working hard, won't you?" She waved, turning around. She looked over her shoulder, "But you should probably eat that before it gets cold. Bye!"

It was a nice post-workout meal, Amajiki decided after he had finished (his exercises and the meal). He made a mental note to remind him to thank her later.

. . .

Monday morning are hard for everyone. [name], of course, was no different. However, today was different.

While the morning had passed uneventfully, [name] had just gotten out her lunch when things got... interesting.

"So, [surname]-chan," Tanaka Ahiko, a classmate that [name] didn't know well, but had sat behind for the entire school year, began, turning around to face her. "I heard you know a Yuuei student."

[name]'s hand froze with her chopsticks halfway to her mouth. "Who told you that?" She asked, unhappy about rumors being spread.

Tanaka frowned. "So you don't?"

She paused, sighing. "I do," [name] answered after a moment. "But I don't know why it's important."

"Someone saw you on the train together," Tanaka said matter-of-factly, taking a bit of her onigiri. "I think it's really cool you know someone from Yuuei! I totally wanted to go there when I was looking at high schools, but I failed the entrance exams." She laughed. "Are they like, a hero already?"

[name] was already growing tired of this conversation. Tanaka was a bit airheaded, but was popular enough that she could ruin someone's life if she spread the wrong rumor. "He's doing an internship at the moment." [name] shoved some food in her mouth to get out of saying anything else.

"Wow~ That's so cool," Tanaka insisted. "You said 'he' so it's a guy, right?" She winked and stuck her tongue out. "Would you introduce me to him?" She was pretty well known as someone who went from boyfriend to boyfriend often, not usually dating someone for more than a week or two.

[name] deadpanned immediately. "He's really shy," she replied monotonously, "I don't think it'd be a good idea."

"What? He's going to be a hero and he's shy?" Tanaka raised an eyebrow. "That seems unlikely, [surname]-chan."

She smiled absentmindedly. "Well, he's an unlikely sort of guy." [name] rested her cheek on her palm, meeting Tanaka's eyes.

Tanaka sighed in disappointment. "That's no fun, [surname]-chan. If you wanted to keep him to yourself you should just say so." She turned around, not bothering to listen anymore.

[name] shrugged, chewing on a morsel of rice. Sure, keep him to myself, she thought bemusedly. Like I'd do that.

a/n: i wrote this when i was in an extremely depressive episode and looking back on it now, it's not good but i don't want to touch it because i'm depressed enough thanks so sorry i hope you dont mind a shitty chapter for once

also there wasn't a whole lot of purpose to this chapter. it was, admittedly, filler chapter. it's not likely you will ever see Tanaka again, or if you do, it won't be but once or twice.