ch. 6

Chapter Six;;- Dreams

[name] strolled down the street leisurely, listening to the sound of her soft footsteps and relishing in the feeling of the cool spring day. It was so nice out, it would be a shame to not enjoy it. Her phone dinged with a notification, drawing her attention away from the surroundings and down to her phone.

papa: Hey kitten, I should be home in time for dinner today!! What time will you get home? Love you <3
4:32 P.M.

[name] smiled at the text, beginning to tap out her response. Her mother hadn't been in the picture since her younger brother had been born, so it was up to her father to keep the two kids she left behind afloat. He worked hard, long days, and during stressful times in the year, he would have to work more than one job.

She had an insane amount of respect for her father, raising her and her younger brother one his own despite having to work so hard to do so, he still never asked for help from family. When [name] started working at Fantasia, she offered multiple times to put the money she earned to good use around the house. Buying groceries, things that they needed around the house, repairmen when things inevitably broke, but he always denied it.

"You made that money yourself, honey. You should spend it how you want to," he would say with a smile, kissing her cheek. No matter how many times she insisted that was what she wanted to do with it, he always declined it.

Her constant desire to help her father was what drove her to cooking, in fact. Wanting to be able to do something, anything, for him, she started cooking meals for her and her brother when their father couldn't make it home in time for dinner. She started at the young, tender age of ten, struggling to cook simple meals because she couldn't always reach the microwave or look over the lip of the pot.

One time when [name] had just begun cooking, she cut her finger when she was chopping potatoes, and it gushed blood. Her brother, being only eight, started bawling because he was so scared. It took twenty minutes to stop the bleeding, five to get it bandaged properly, and another fifteen to get her brother to stop crying. She still has the pale scar on the the tip of her finger, but now it so faint you can barely see it.

It was a slow ascent to her current skill level, of course, since it was a rocky road covered with potholes. With no teacher of any kind and only the old recipe book that their father's mother had given him when he moved out for college, [name] took a lot of detours on this bumpy road, but she had more practical knowledge than any person who was taught through each and every step. She could recover from the biggest screw up.

Eventually, [name] stopped cooking just because she wanted to help her dad. It morphed into more than that. She was enjoying more and more as she messed up less and less. Because it was fun, she got even better. When she saw her brother or father take a bit of her food and saw their faces light up, listened to their praise, she felt her entire being get lighter. She wasn't always sure if it was the gratitude or the taste or whatever, but she knew that whatever she was doing, she was doing it right.

All she wanted was to make people happy, she realized one evening while making her brother dinner. If that could be done through cooking, so be it. She enjoyed it, other people enjoyed it, there was no reason not to.

And that was when her dream was officially born.

Another notification sounded on her phone, a response from her father. [name] grinned, cheerfully typing her response and skipping up to the train station after pocketing her phone.

A head of dark hair caught her eye, and [name]'s smile grew. "Amajiki-kun!" She called, waving with her whole arm. Her mind flashed back to the afternoon she visited his house. She knew he wasn't one to go around with his heart on his sleeve, but he seemed happy that day.

Amajiki turned around, waving shyly with his arms drawn close to him.

[name] skipped towards him. She liked making other people happy, sure, but making Amajiki happy felt even better.

a/n: this is real short, i know. i couldn't really think of a way to make it longer without taking away from the actual purpose of this chapter (which is mainly to explain some back ground for reader)