ch. 26

Chapter Twenty Six;;- Lucky

The classroom was already buzzing with quiet conversation when [name] entered in the morning. She didn't usually come all that early to class-- about ten minutes before the teacher arrived-- so there was already more than half the class present. Some talking to their friends in soft voices, couple of people snoozed on their desks, others trying to slam out the last bit of homework they didn't do, the loners of the class silently entertaining themselves.

[name] fell in the last category most days. She didn't really have any friends, so there was no one to talk to. She got enough sleep and always did her homework on time. So, she read a book at her desk or played on her phone. Whatever kept her busy.

She sat down in her seat, preparing for the day ahead by taking everything she needed out of her school bag. Once she had finished, [name] fished her phone out of her pocket and started scrolling through a social media. She only ever checked it about once a day, so there was always plenty to check up on.

Her phone buzzed with a text message. Opening it, [name] smiled when she saw it was from Tamaki. She began typing out her response, the smile lingering.

A dull thump from in front of her made [name] look up. Tanaka had dropped her school bag on her chair and was now looking down at [name] from in front of her desk. Her hair (bleached and against the school rules, but no one seemed to care) was shorter than it had been before the weekend.

Feeling good spirits, [name] smiled at Tanaka. "Good morning, Tanaka-san. I like your new haircut."

Tanaka frowned at her. "What's got you all happy?" She sat down backwards in her seat, like the "cool" teachers in American movies. "You don't usually look so smiley in the morning."

[name] shrugged, finishing her text message to Tamaki and sending it, then setting her phone down on the table. "Do I have to have a reason?"

She tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear with impeccable nails (which were also against the school rules, but she did a good job at hiding them). Tanaka looked [name] over with narrowed eyes. "It's one of those Yuuei boys, right? You mentioned one of them being shy, like a while ago, so you've been friends with the dark haired one for a long time now, right?"

A confused nod from [name].

"You're dating him, aren't you?"

"Uh," [name] started, confusion clearly lacing her voice, "yeah. How'd you know?"

Tanaka rolled her eyes. "You were smiling at your phone and texting. It's kinda obvious, babe." She leaned back, using her desk as a back support. "Why you, [surname]?"

Feeling a little bit uncomfortable from the casual pet name. She raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

Her eyes danced towards the clock. "You've got a lot going for you. The good grades, the good job, the perfect boyfriend." Tanaka's voice sounded resentful. "I mean, why you?"

[name] opened her mouth to answer, then shut it again. She pondered the question, chewing on her lower lip. "I'm just lucky, I guess."

a/n: okay that's officially the last time you'll be seeing tanaka cuz i hate writing her. she's pretty wishy-washy and its hard to get a grasp on my own damn character what the fuck

this is kinda a shorty just because it was wrapping up the tanaka conflict (which there really wasn't any at all). i just didn't want to add to the chapter with something completely different because then it would feel crowded.