ch. 25

Chapter Twenty Five;;- Siblings

[name] fanned herself with her the collar of her t-shirt, sitting back to catch as much of the shade as she could. "It's hot," she complained.

"Not as hot as me," Makoto shot back, muffled slightly by the popsicle he held pressed to his tongue. He snickered when he saw [name] roll her eyes, then opened the cooler and offered her a popsicle as well. She took it gratefully, removing the wrapper and sticking it in her mouth.

She stared at the wrapper in her hand for a second, then set it on Makoto's lap. "You're welcome."

"Fuck you." Makoto snatched the wrapper off his lap before the hot summer wind could blow it off into the yard. He put it in the cooler, not really sure what to do with it either. The trashcan required walking and, well, he didn't want to get out of the shade. "Why are we even at the park when it's 32 degrees[1] and humid as fuck?"

[name] shrugged. "I needed to get out of the house. Did you have any better ideas?"

"Yeah, staying inside." Makoto bit off the end of his popsicle (blue raspberry flavored-- even though blue raspberries don't exist, which always puzzled him as to why there would be a flavor named after them if they didn't exist) and dodged [name]'s lazy, playful punch on the arm.

She rolled her eyes again. "Smartass." There was a short moment of silence as the two licked their popsicles and mentally cursed the rainy season[2]. They watched as two children played on the playground in front of them. One of them, the smaller one, was climbing up the slide. The other one, bigger than the other and grinning mischievously, was sitting at the top of the slide.

The smaller of the two was looking down at the slide in front of him, not noticing when the bigger pushed off from the top and slide down the slide. The smaller was thrown off the slide as the bigger bowled his arms and legs out from under him. Of course, the smaller started crying immediately while the other laughed, both of their mothers running over to diffuse the situation.

Makoto laughed under his breath. "Yeet."

[name] struggled to hold back her own laugh. "Makoto, that's so mean," she scolded him, but more than one laugh managed to slip passed her lips.

[surname] Makoto wasn't like his sister at all. He was loud, brash, brutally honest. He didn't like to mince words when it wasn't necessary. He had a habit of teasing people just because it was funny to watch some people's reactions. He liked to make jokes like the one he just had, usually at the expense of others.

[name] was known for being kind, well-mannered, the sort of people pleaser that doesn't really know their a people pleaser, but everyone else does. She was humble, sweet, and possessed a charm to her that wasn't too common these days.

It wasn't most people's cup of tea, but... they made [name] laugh, and he liked when they shared a connection that they knew no one else did.

After the larger child had been forced to apologize to the smaller one and their mothers both exchanged apologies and a few laughs, they split up.

Makoto sighed and leaned back in the shade. "I wanna play webkinz[3]," He said suddenly.

"No!" [name] shook her head vehemently. "You always beat me at all the games we play together."

"It's not my fault you suck!" Makoto discarded his popsicle stick into the cooler. "I'm a master strategist."

[name] flicked her popsicle stick at Makoto's forehead. "No, you just forfeit every time I almost win because your ego can't take it," She teased, sticking her tongue out.

Makoto threw her popsicle stick into the cooler as well, then pinched her outstretched tongue. "Nope, master strategist."

She pulled at his hand, struggling to get it off of her tongue. When he finally let go, she put it back in her mouth and glared at him. "Your hand tastes gross." Pause. "And you're not a maser strategist! Just a cheater!"

He shrugged. "Sure, sure, whatever."

[surname] Makoto wasn't his sister at all, but that was okay.

[1]- Summers in Japan tend to be in the 30's (C) and very humid. 32 degrees C is ~89 F (which, coupled with humidity, can make the real feel ~mid 90's to 100's)

[2]- Rainy season is a couple weeks in June.

[3]- Based off a real conversation I had with my own younger brother not long before finishing this chapter.

a/n: i've got a good deal of writer's block right now and i keep having anxiety attacks so this chapter probably feels really disjointed and weird and it's late because my dumbass can't plan shit and i'm sorry it's short it's the best i can do

this chapter was mainly written because (someone on quotev)  asked if i was going to write anything about makoto/reader's relationship and honestly, i wanted to. they're pretty much based off of my younger brother and i's relationship. we're close, but we never have serious conversations. it's all joking and fun, but we can count on each other to back us up always :)